Unication G5 and the Richmond Metro area

hfd376

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone in the Richmond area use one? Likely will be ordering this week, I understand these are a little better than the Uniden SDS series for monitoring trunked systems. Has anyone programmed a P25 phase II system?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, they're not compatible with the existing Metro Richmond system, but I know that Powhatan and Prince George volunteers are using them for their new radio systems.

hfd376

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, I was looking to get ahead of the curve when the new phase II system comes online, and maybe programming it for the King and Queen/Essex system as well. Is it incompatible due it being a lagacyP16 system?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is it incompatible due it being a lagacyP16 system?

While @BoxAlarm187 is correct that the TYPE II system will not work, you can program all the voice frequencies in as conventional P25 and scan through them, it is far from perfect but will work, at least until the Phase 2 system goes live. I use this method for a local federal prison.

Also, looking at your area, it'd be worth adding the $25 DMR upgrade before you get it, having to send it back for a couple weeks later really stinks.

fredva

Feed Provider
You may already be aware of this, but just to make sure, you would only be able to monitor one trunked system at a time. If you wanted to listen to two systems at once, having one programmed as trunked and another as conventional might work, but I can't say for sure. I just know that one trunking system at a time is a limitation of the Unication receivers, and why I passed on buying one for my area.

blackbelter

Rock solid professional grade receiver for one system and one site at the time . I chose it for scanning less and hearing more. My G5 has had allowed me to hear all the key ups ever .

hill

Premium Subscriber
With a G5 with the VHF band sould be able to monitor the STARS system with State Police and other State Agencies.

I only have rhe G4 that I use at home, but since I am in Richmond twice a week for work and stay overnight on Tuesdays when i get the money will be purchasing a G5. Still have an older Radio Shack scanner to use for smartzone areas.

The devices are great for monitoring simulcast systems. Never miss anything. All day battery life.

Plus they are small enough to take with you when out and easy to listen with a bluetooth device with having the pager tucked away.

I owned mine for almost a year and it was the right purchase for me, as I mainly monitor fire.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
You may already be aware of this, but just to make sure, you would only be able to monitor one trunked system at a time. If you wanted to listen to two systems at once, having one programmed as trunked and another as conventional might work, but I can't say for sure. I just know that one trunking system at a time is a limitation of the Unication receivers, and why I passed on buying one for my area.
But they are far superior scanning quality than any other scanner. Once you get the hang of how to program them, they are awesome.

fredva

Feed Provider
But they are far superior scanning quality than any other scanner. Once you get the hang of how to program them, they are awesome.
From everything I've heard about them, they are great quality receiver. But I live on the border of two local jurisdictions with their own trunk systems, plus the STARS system that overlaps both of them. If I'm going to be out and about with a handheld, I don't want to choose to monitor only one of those. Also wouldn't want to pay for three of them to do the work of one scanner.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
From everything I've heard about them, they are great quality receiver. But I live on the border of two local jurisdictions with their own trunk systems, plus the STARS system that overlaps both of them. If I'm going to be out and about with a handheld, I don't want to choose to monitor only one of those. Also wouldn't want to pay for three of them to do the work of one scanner.
just have to know how to program it accordingly. I'd do them in one Zone and then be able to flip between positions in that zone