• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Antenna For 800 Mhz Band

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use BNC antennas, and adapters on each radio correctly fitted to the host. It eliminates fitment headaches and makes it possible to choose antennas solely by frequency range, instead of having to worry about which antenna fits where.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I use BNC antennas, and adapters on each radio correctly fitted to the host. It eliminates fitment headaches and makes it possible to choose antennas solely by frequency range, instead of having to worry about which antenna fits where.
The use of an BNC adapter for using different antennas would certainly make sense for the SDS100's due to their wide frequency coverage. It's not so necessary for the G5. That said, the one advantage to the BNC adapter is that it facilitates the connection of an external antenna if desired. But again, I don't find that necessary. Anyway, even with the low profile adapter I was using, I never liked the "Frankenstein" look it gave me. :)

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It eliminates the worries re the center pin.
I was curious about the depth of the recessed center connector on the Kenwood and so I measured it using a tire tread gauge (Yes, I know. It's not the most scientific method to use, but it's better than guessing. :)) The depth is identical to both the Unication antenna SMA as well as the BNC adapter I use.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately not. I apparently enjoyed spending $28 more, including a steep shipping charge, through a different retailer. :cry:

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unfortunately not. I apparently enjoyed spending $28 more, including a steep shipping charge, through a different retailer. :cry:

Have you compared it to a Motorola?

I assume the measurement are different?

N6ML

The Motorola that I've played with has no recess at all. I'm not sure that it's actually genuine Motorola ("eBay special"), but I imagine that the dimensions are at least similar to a genuine one.

DSCF0198 (Medium).JPG

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I have to second that, if you want to send the radio back for repair possibly use a Motorola antenna, I didn't listen and used one, but I was able to recover

blackbelter

I am in deep coverage thus the Unication stubby antenna works great for me . In event that I would need an extra signal , I use the amplified charger with the RS antenna connected. Works great .

Last edited:

bdp278

Feed Provider
It appears my third party antenna pushed in the pin in the antenna connection now my OEM antenna will not work. Any way for me to repair, maybe trying to pull the pin back up, or send in for factory repair?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It appears my third party antenna pushed in the pin in the antenna connection now my OEM antenna will not work. Any way for me to repair, maybe trying to pull the pin back up, or send in for factory repair?
It would be helpful if we knew what brand/model of antenna this was so that others can beware.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
use tiny needle nose pliers and be very very careful, I used the signal diagnostics to position the pin in what I hoped was the right spot

GTO_04

So, I picked up the Kenwood KRA-32K 700/800 MHz antenna, trimmed the skirt as needed, and find that it performs on a par with the Remtronix/RS 800 antenna I had been using with an adapter. It also looks like it was made for the G5.

View attachment 98434
I just received one these. About how much did you have to trim from the skirt to make it fit?

GTO_04