• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
So I just pulled the trigger on a Unication G5 and can't wait to get it around Wednesday. What I am trying to figure out is if the little stubby 700/800 antenna can come off and be replaced with another antenna. And if so, is the jack SMA male, or something else?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that the G5's external antenna only works for 700 and 800 MHz signals. There is no way to improve reception for the internal antenna, which depending on the model, receives everything else. Is this correct?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that the G5's external antenna only works for 700 and 800 MHz signals. There is no way to improve reception for the internal antenna, which depending on the model, receives everything else. Is this correct?

That is what they have said, you are correct.

I am not sure if that changes if you are using a charging base with the amplified speaker, which has its own bnc antenna connection.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

Yes. The external antenna is for 7/800 only.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
That is what they have said, you are correct.

I am not sure if that changes if you are using a charging base with the amplified speaker, which has its own bnc antenna connection.

I can confirm that attaching an antenna to the BNC port on the charging base has no affect on VHF. I don't own a UHF flavor G5, but I think it's safe to assume the charging base antenna will not help that band either. So just like the stubby, the charger base antenna only affects 700/800.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that attaching an antenna to the BNC port on the charging base has no affect on VHF. I don't own a UHF flavor G5, but I think it's safe to assume the charging base antenna will not help that band either. So just like the stubby, the charger base antenna only affects 700/800.

I had the opposite experience. I attached coax from the charging base leading to an omnidirectional VHF antenna in the attic and it greatly improved reception on VHF.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I talked with DAVID at unication last week and he said in their testing, oddly enough, the external antenna on the back of the charging unit actually is to the VHF internal antenna, and not the external 800, so you will have to still run the 800 snubby or facsimile on the unit, which I think is a great thing, best of both worlds.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I had the opposite experience. I attached coax from the charging base leading to an omnidirectional VHF antenna in the attic and it greatly improved reception on VHF.

Weird. I didn't try attaching anything that serious, just the whip that comes with the charging base. Connected or disconnected, I could not distinguish any difference in signal strength on a weak VHF signal.

W8VI

I just received the charging base w/ amp speaker and agree that the BNC connector on the back connects to the 800 MHz antenna input on the G4.

Removing the antenna on the G4 then connecting it to the base with its 18" whip antenna produces similar signal and reception results.

I tried the well known Radio Shack 800 MHz 7 inch antenna on the base and it also worked good but in my opinion not as well as an antenna connected directly to the G4. Possibly the base antenna was receiving more interference from other radiators like the PC, switching power supplies, cordless phones, etc. or there could be a slight impedance mismatch somewhere.

I also connected an external bookshelf type speaker from the external output jack on the base and like its audio much better compared to the small speaker on the base unit for loner periods on monitoring.

Last edited:

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
After further testing, the amp charger appears to affect both bands. I've had varying reports but I have tested this myself with an ifr1200s.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you for the update, David. For whatever it is worth, I did attach a magnetic antenna mount to my amplified charger and I have a Pulse / Larsen - Tri Band VHF, UHF, 800 MHz Motorola Style Antenna attached to that mount. That seems to work very well for me. (I also us a cookie sheet as a ground plane in the house to attach the magnetic mount.)

Also, I know I have posted this before, but when I took the longest Motorola DTR550 antenna and threaded it on my Unication G5, it worked very well on 800 MHz. (I don't recall if I ever tried VHF while that antenna was attached though.)

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=427126

rja1

Premium Subscriber
At 7 or 8 hundred any adapters will throw the tuning of the antenna way off.

As long as the adapter maintains a close to 50 Ohm impedance, it shouldn't effect antenna resonance. Does the 50 foot long coax cable between you scanner and 800 Mhz yagi change the antenna resonance?

Bob
n2oam

Status
Not open for further replies.