• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 broken charger port

t9590th

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I broke my charging / programming port on my G5 pager. Does anyone know how to get this pager a part so I can make the repair? I believe I can solder the port back onto the board, but heck I cannot figure out how to get inside the pager. Any help is greatly appreciated, I do not have the money to send in for the company to service. I was quoted nearly $200.00 for a repair.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
If you are covered under a warranty, then the repair would be free with Unication. If you are outside of warranty, the estimate is about what you could expect from their repair department.

If you need help finding out if you are covered under warranty, I can help you with that.

t9590th

Premium Subscriber
If you are covered under a warranty, then the repair would be free with Unication. If you are outside of warranty, the estimate is about what you could expect from their repair department.

If you need help finding out if you are covered under warranty, I can help you with that.
how would I know if it is covered under warrant?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
...If you are outside of warranty, the estimate is about what you could expect from their repair department.

Wow. I can't believe how high the quote is for the issue.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Same thing happened to mine, it was taken care of under warranty, they sent me a refurbished one. I bought a charging base and rarely use the side port now, it's pretty wimpy if you rely on it to charge it every night.

Jake226

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys the same thing just happened to me, but I purchased my pager on market place and he can’t remember when he purchased it! Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys the same thing just happened to me, but I purchased my pager on market place and he can’t remember when he purchased it! Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated

Go to this web page scroll down to Warranty Lookup, enter serial number.

If in warranty contact a dealer (like East Coast Pagers listed above) to initiate a service ticket.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Same thing happened to mine, it was taken care of under warranty, they sent me a refurbished one. I bought a charging base and rarely use the side port now, it's pretty wimpy if you rely on it to charge it every night.

This issue is one of the things that really makes me pause about purchasing a Unication pager. Its pretty clear that the "charging port" was meant to be for infrequent programming, not charging, and isn't durable enough to be used for charging. So, you now have to buy an $86 base charger to keep from spending $200 later for repairs. When you start adding up the cost of a G5, optional DMR (which I'm interested in), and then have to throw in a charger, you are getting very expensive.

jabbeaux

I would just add to this, Unication has changed their warranty to no longer cover a broken charge port. That's the plain english as explained to me. Nuance below reads like if they determine it's "customer abuse." But, be forewarned. IMHO I'd look into magnet charging cables ASAP and forget the desktop charge cradle.

My gripes with the charge cradle are:
  1. Too expensive for what it does (charge only). Is >2x cost of a Minitor VI cradle, and 83% the price of a Motorola Amplified Charge Cradle. Price is just stupid high.
  2. For the price, it has a stunning lack of features. For example, can't be used in vehicle. Can't adjust angle the radio sits. No speaker. No antenna. It is quite literally a $80+ hunk of plastic. It can't cost more than $10 to manufacture this thing.
  3. Does not include a wall wart, power supply, or cable.
  4. Does not program. You must remove radio >> remove cable (or find another micro usb) >> plug into side of radio. If you program frequently, it's more work than just going through side port.
  5. The rubber around bottom of radio makes for a tight fit sliding in/out of cradle. I frequently have to hold the cradle down to push in. Or often pick whole cradle up when taking it out.
  6. It's big. Like, way too big. It is virtually same height and width/depth as my Dell TB16 laptop dock. For context, here's how big that dock is.

The exact legalese of warranty change
What is covered?
Any defect in materials or workmanship.

What is not covered?
Warranty does not cover defects resulting from accidents, damages while in transit to an authorized warranty service center, alterations, unauthorized repairs/modifications, failure to follow instructions, customer abuse (including broken housing, broken displays, or water damage exceeding the limits of ingress protection), fire, flood, and any natural/man-made calamity.

Examples:
Broken housing or another defect that was caused by:
  • Damage from being ran over or dropped from a moving vehicle
  • Damage caused by an animal
  • Damage from a fire
  • Water damage exceeding the device’s ingress protection rating (being submerged over 30 minutes or in depths over 3 feet)
  • Signs of abuse or impact to knob, buttons, or port
  • Cosmetic damages (any cosmetic imperfection or damage that does not impact the device functionality or performance)

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So, you now have to buy an $86 base charger to keep from spending $200 later for repairs.
That sort of sounds like an insurance policy. You can gamble that the port will never malfunction, or you can drop the dimes for the charger.
Does not include a wall wart, power supply, or cable.
You'd just end up using the cable and power supply from the pager anyway. So as not to have to remove said cable every time you need to program the pager, any micro-USB to USB-A cable will do. You'll probably have several unused ones hanging around your parts drawer.

fire1429

Can you program the radio three the charging base? My side usb is broken also and I’m trying to find a work around to programming it.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
No, you need the side USB port for programming. Unication will normally fix this under warranty and if you are outside of warranty, they just issued a lower repair fee for just the USB port.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
No, you need the side USB port for programming.
Given the troubles Unication has had with the port, it's no wonder they haven't designed the programming function into the desktop chargers by now. That said, I wonder if anyone has ever determined that a programming contact exists on the bottom of the G-series pagers?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Given the troubles Unication has had with the port, it's no wonder they haven't designed the programming function into the desktop chargers by now. That said, I wonder if anyone has ever determined that a programming contact exists on the bottom of the G-series pagers?
This is supposedly the pin out.

fire1429

This is supposedly the pin out.

As per the photo there is a pin out for programming on the bottom of the radio.

fire1429

No, you need the side USB port for programming. Unication will normally fix this under warranty and if you are outside of warranty, they just issued a lower repair fee for just the USB port.
Would u happen to know the current lower fee is for just the usb?