• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Charlotte UASI Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2chj

Hi,
I've been programming Motorola, Vertex Standard, and Various Amateur radios through CPS, PPS, etc. for decades for personal and EMS/Fire department radio equipment as Communications Officer.
I'm a newbie when it comes to the Unications G5 PPS, and need to get up to speed quickly.
I'm looking for info and/or code plugs for the P25 Charlotte UASI system specifically for the Meck and Union County programming. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or code plugs they are willing to share with me?
I've searched here, and various other sources for any UASI/Charlotte info and have come up empty. I've watched all the You Tube videos and been through the PPS help info, so please don't suggest those.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Scott
WA2CHJ
EMT-P-CC, Flight Medic

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Scott, once you get the hang of it, the PPS is pretty straight forward though a bit tedious. :(

First (with tab C) set up your profile. If it is new, use C1. The 'fun' part here is getting the right model number. :(

Once you've got your profile set up, select Tab D, and click the 'edit' button near the bottom. If you have more than one profile select it first then edit.

A new window will popup. Enter the user (you) information (in '1') you want and save it.

Select 2, another window appears. The default is 'conventional' if you want P25, select the button to the right that says 'P25 Trunking System Setting". Then click the 'new' button.

Enter the 'alias' you want this to have displayed on the display. Enter the WACN and SYSID from RR (they are not always right, if in doubt use FFFFF and FFF.

Click in the 'site' column and enter the 'site' information from RRDB or 'FF' and 'FF' for the RFSS and Site ID. Then click save.

Click under the control channel and another widow will popup to enter you desired frequencies. Add the ones you want and then click 'save'.

In tab 3 enter the system type protocol. Then make any changes you need/want for the parameter settings. The 'protocol type' is a drop down. The alias is what you want to call it. Save the file again.

Tab 4 is where you enter TGID information for trunked systems. Enter an alias (or the name from RRDB), select the alert mode and tone (both are drop down selections), whether you want to record (voice storage), relay control info (if you use it), background color (this is the background color on your display), and the P25 TGID, and finally sub group.

One thing to keep in mind though, if you have a conventional system with talk groups there will be a P25C TGID column just before the P25T (trunked) TGID column.

Tab 5 sets up your zones and knob positions. Click new or an existing zone and double click on a knob position. Enter an alias (displayed on the G5 screen), select your receiving mode (most likely TG Scan, TG Monitor picks up all TGIDs in a system), select the voice prompt (or silent).

The area under this will populate based on what you pick. The first item is to select the frequency list you want to monitor. In the last section, select the talk groups you entered you want to monitor. You have to enter at least one TGID, even if you selected TG Monitor. When you're done click 'save'. Word of caution here, make sure your mouse arrow is not in one of the selection boxes. Scrolling your mouse there may change the setting. Also make sure the 'push to listen' is set to "NO" or you won't get audio unless you push the side button.

Tabs 6-10 are pretty straight forward, select what you want.

When you're ready to program, make sure the pager is connected and you see "PC Connected" in the screen a "1" in connected devices near the top of the screen. Click the program button (lower left) and the pager will receive the codeplug. You'll get a message telling you when the upload is done, click OK. The pager will reboot and be disconnected from the computer.

It is just tedious entering numerous frequencies and TGIDs as you cannot copy and paste more than a single item. :(

Hopefully someone will provide you with a codeplug you can review to see what you need to do.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it once you get it working.

wa2chj

Thank you, Lynn, you have provided several very good points! I hope someone will chime in with the code plugs. I was going to post in the NC forum as well, but I didn't want to duplicate post and have that be a violation of the rules. I'll wait and see if anyone does in a week or so, and then post a code plug request there.
My G5 will be here next week, and I'm sure everything will make more sense when I can actually program the unit using the PPS. I plan on getting the conventional VHF frequencies and 2-tone decodes working first, and then work on the P25 UASI system.
Thanks again for your help!

Scott
WA2CHJ
EMT-P-CC, Flight Medic/Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.