• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6ML

That's a good model, pay for what you need, not for everything you don't need.

Very much like ordering a new vehicle. Not everyone needs a tow package.

Yes! I see a lot of whining about having to pay for these upgrades, but the alternative is that we ALL have to pay more for the product, even if we don't use the feature.

n5gqb

So not to start yet another similar dmr thread just yet ;), I thought I'd ask about how to enable dmr on a new g5b66bf that came with firmware 1.2 and using pps 3.14.15. I have combed through many threads/posts about this but a lot of yay's/nay's and such on this, plus varying answers depending on when the info was posted. Best I can surmise is to "copy from existing profile" then "convert new model" and select g5b67bf as the radio (dmr now shows up as a choice under protocol type) and it would change the model and accept it when writing to pager. My hang up is when I get ready to write to the pager I get the following popup, "The device does NOT support: 1. Protocol (dmr). You can still program anyway but the data which device does not support will be removed." So where am I going wrong? How do you actually change the model number on the pager to the 67 version? I thought the pps program would do this for you in this particular instance.
Thanks Sly

N6ML

So not to start yet another similar dmr thread just yet ;), I thought I'd ask about how to enable dmr on a new g5b66bf that came with firmware 1.2 and using pps 3.14.15. I have combed through many threads/posts about this but a lot of yay's/nay's and such on this, plus varying answers depending on when the info was posted. Best I can surmise is to "copy from existing profile" then "convert new model" and select g5b67bf as the radio (dmr now shows up as a choice under protocol type) and it would change the model and accept it when writing to pager. My hang up is when I get ready to write to the pager I get the following popup, "The device does NOT support: 1. Protocol (dmr). You can still program anyway but the data which device does not support will be removed." So where am I going wrong? How do you actually change the model number on the pager to the 67 version? I thought the pps program would do this for you in this particular instance.
Thanks Sly

As far as I know, you have to send it Unication to get the model number updated (for a small fee). There was a utility that did it for free download for a short time, but it was withdrawn - I assume due to licensing. Contact your dealer for details.

N6ML

Just got a G3, DMR is included

There seems to be some uncertainty about new units - whether they are '66' or '67' - but anyone with an existing '66' (or lower) model would have to send it in for upgrade, AFAIK. If you're buying new and actually need (or want) DMR, I'd recommend confirming with your dealer before you order.

N6ML

I just received a used G5, it's a 66 model and it lets me program DMR channels.

You sure about that? What version of PPS? What model have you selected for the profile in PPS? If I create a profile for, say, G5B66BF, DMR is not even presented as an option on tab D3.

n5gqb

As far as I know, you have to send it Unication to get the model number updated (for a small fee). There was a utility that did it for free download for a short time, but it was withdrawn - I assume due to licensing. Contact your dealer for details.
Thanks for the reply, but that kinda stinks. When was this utility removed for end user? Must've been pretty recent. I've also read some threads on here from not that long ago about people re-flashing 1.2 on their own pager to fix corruption issues and strange behavior. I can only assume these folks must have been able to download and store a copy of the 1.2 f/w and the flash utility before it all got yanked. At this time you apparently cannot download firmware off the unication site, only sign up for an alert if there's an update.
The dealer I bought from had no option/note or anything saying that you must request dmr/model upgrade when ordering, but yet I see some others on here that ordered from this dealer and theirs had dmr (maybe they all specifically requested it when ordering? idk). Yes I did know that I was ordering the 66 version and was going to add the dmr myself. The 67 version was not even listed on the site. I probably would've ordered it instead as I knew it would have dmr ready to go.
Zip scanners was the only one I found that offered a g5 with dmr for an extra fee. Many folks sneered at them as they were charging for something thats free (to activate) and/or can do yourself.
So I guess kinda like you said, unless the dealer/seller explicitly says dmr included/capable, you darn better ask about it before ordering, whether be free or an upcharge.
As said I was going on the assumption by reading countless posts/threads on here that dmr was already in the g5 pagers, whether be already activated or not didn't matter much as it was easy to add it on your own. I had also thought the model # change from 66 to 67 could be done thru the pps software to activate dmr. No apparent reflash was needed. My bad I guess for not double checking all this recent info with seller.
Sigh, I'll contact my dealer and see what they say...
Thanks

n5gqb

You sure about that? What version of PPS? What model have you selected for the profile in PPS? If I create a profile for, say, G5B66BF, DMR is not even presented as an option on tab D3.
I'd like to know too. Which version of pps and what firmware version yours has?

N6ML

When was this utility removed for end user? Must've been pretty recent.

I know it (more detail on "it" below) was available for download in March of this year, but only for a few weeks, from what I recall.

I've also read some threads on here from not that long ago about people re-flashing 1.2 on their own pager to fix corruption issues and strange behavior. I can only assume these folks must have been able to download and store a copy of the 1.2 f/w and the flash utility before it all got yanked. At this time you apparently cannot download firmware off the unication site, only sign up for an alert if there's an update.

Updating firmware is a separate process from enabling DMR. You should still be able to update firmware via Downloads- G4/G5 P25 Voice Pager | unicationusa if you need to - I just tried it (entered my serial number), and it offered a download link.

DMR is a *feature* in the firmware, which is enabled or disabled based on the model number programmed into the pager. If it's 66 or lower, DMR is disabled (even though the code is in the firmware). If you have a model 67 (or perhaps higher in the future), DMR is enabled. There was a tool called "FeatureUpdater" that was available for download in March - the purpose of that tool was to change the model number to 67 (not to load different firmware). The tool was withdrawn, and owners advised to contact their delears about sending their pagers back to Unication to get DMR enabled. It's presumed to be due to a necessary license fee that must be recovered.

Hit_Factor

3.14.15 and firmware is 1.2

I was at the DMR location today, no audio, but the bars showed some signals. I need to work on this.

I'll get some screenshots together.

n5gqb

I know it (more detail on "it" below) was available for download in March of this year, but only for a few weeks, from what I recall.

Updating firmware is a separate process from enabling DMR. You should still be able to update firmware via Downloads- G4/G5 P25 Voice Pager | unicationusa if you need to - I just tried it (entered my serial number), and it offered a download link.

DMR is a *feature* in the firmware, which is enabled or disabled based on the model number programmed into the pager. If it's 66 or lower, DMR is disabled (even though the code is in the firmware). If you have a model 67 (or perhaps higher in the future), DMR is enabled. There was a tool called "FeatureUpdater" that was available for download in March - the purpose of that tool was to change the model number to 67 (not to load different firmware). The tool was withdrawn, and owners advised to contact their delears about sending their pagers back to Unication to get DMR enabled. It's presumed to be due to a necessary license fee that must be recovered.
Rgr that, thanks for all the info. Sometimes really hard to filter thru all the info posted on here to find out what you really need to know.
As for the firmware download on the Unication site, I did not jump through the fill out form because it said
"Update your device... Automatically get the latest software for your G Series Device". Which led me to believe that the form was just to take your info and to notify you when a newer firmware is avail, not a download for the current version.

Hit_Factor

You guys are right, I was wrong. I have a 67. Darn it.

I'm gonna stop posting about my G5, I'm wrong too much.

blackbelter

Any thoughts of why my UHF G5 which has been DMR flashed by Unication would not decodes the following DMR system ( I am within 200 feet of this repeater ) WQDX857 ( 463.875) . The color code is 8 however I am not seeing the slots or the TGs on line .
My 436 however passes the audio with no issues and shows it to be a DMR .
I have entered the frequency , color code , slots 1 and switched to 2, selected ffffff as talk group ,selected monitor, DMR tone enabled the repeater in my G5 . Am I missing any steps ?
Thanks

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I think a while back it was noted that if RAS is being used the Unicatoins dont pass audio.
Uniden ingnores RAS and will pass audio. Thats my first guess. Also in the help section it shows FFFCDF as the maximum range which i think is the wildcard. not FFFFFF. but i stopped messing with DMR on my units a while back as the scanner handles it so much better. I use the G4/G5 for what its really designed for, P25T

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
There is a $30.00 charge for DMR. A royalty is paid to ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute). The Unication dealer then makes a change to the hardware ID of the G4 or G5. Once the hardware ID is changed and you select the corresponding model for the profile in PPS, you will see DMR is a feature.

There's nothing special in terms of hardware and it doesn't require special firmware.

If you're curious to see what it looks like, create a new profile and choose G5B67BF-SXUCEN1401UNI - that the model number for a G5 UHF 400-470 and 700/800 with DMR enabled.

FYI - the box for my G5 shows the model number is G5B66BF-SXUCEN1401UNI. The serial number on the radio matches the serial number on the box. So when I paid the $30 charge, the dealer must have a utility they use to modify the model number to reflect that you are entitled to use the DMR capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.