• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 looses signal on NJICS

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I have a Unication G5 that looses signal on NJICS constantly. Only stays connected about 5 minutes before dropping out. I'm in Toms River and using he Bordentown/Ocean site. Anyone else have this issue? I like the radio, but this is very frustrating. Is there a better antenna I can use? I was going to use a Motorola 800mg antenna, but read that it will mess up the pin on the radio. Thanks

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, particulars matter. Would you detail the facts of “loss of signal”. Details will help problem solve. A few questions come to mind.

Site ID number being received as shown on your display. ie 1/55? What do you see?

When does primarily this occur? In car while mobile and where is G5 placed in car?

Does the happen at your residence or both? How often?

Right now I have Site 55 on CC 770.94375 on G5 35 miles away. Clear as next door. Site 56 also in on CC 773.3187 45 miles away.

You should be seeing #56. Double checking the programing.

Last edited:

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Hey there, particulars matter. Would you detail the facts of “loss of signal”. Details will help problem solve. A few questions come to mind.

Site ID number being received as shown on your display. ie 1/55? What do you see?

When does primarily this occur? In car while mobile and where is G5 placed in car?

Does the happen at your residence or both? How often?

Right now I have Site 55 on CC 770.94375 on G5 35 miles away. Clear as next door. Site 56 also in on CC 773.3187 45 miles away.

You should be seeing #56. Double checking the programing.
I should have said, I am a Noves with Unicatio. This radio is a demo from a local radio vender I deal with for our emergency service radios.
I am a radio guy, Motorola and Uniden, so not new with radios in general.
I probably can watch a YouTube video to find the info you are asking for.
The drop out happens every where. It can be in the same place in the house and be good for a while, then a beep and "loss of signal" then most of the time a minute or less later, a few short beeps, and the signa is back.
From Toms River, I can barley hold the Monmouth County TRS. It's loos of signal then with a signal.
I really want to like this radio, but not liking the loos of signal all the time.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Site ID number being received as shown on your display. ie 1/55? What do you see? I see 1/22 Once the sun went down, I'm not loosing the signal.

Site 56 on CC 773.3187 with a tower within 5 miles of my house.

Frame error varies, I have seen it up tp 7.1

RSSI -90 to 130

tvengr

Well Known Member
I believe there was a recent change in the sites. Toms River is now on the Burlington/Ocean Simulcast site.

1 (1)055 (37)Bordentown SimulcastBurlington, NJ769.15625769.65625770.15625770.94375c773.05625773.28125773.81875c
774.06875c774.34375c774.81875
1 (1)056 (38)Burlington/Ocean SimulcastBurlington, NJ769.16875769.41875770.90625773.31875c856.71875c857.21875c

I see you are using that site. Do you have all of the control channel capable frequencies programmed?

Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
The reason you are losing transmissions is because your pager is on Site 22 Monmouth. You can see by the picture its (22) service volume is not Tom’s River(56).
The 56 site that covers TR is located on Rt. 37 a few miles west of the GSP.

The entire NJICS was recently reconfigured. Quite a few of the site numbers were changed. The database and service volume of each site is up to date and is very accurate. The DB admin(s) take great pride in this. It can be viewed here.

New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State

G5 Site programming is CRITICAL. We do not know if you scan multiple sites on one knob position. Your radio COULD be scanning 22,55,56. It COULD lock onto 22 when
56 is closest. I prefer mostly SINGLE site set up only.

A a minimum you need Site 56 only. Ideally you would have a Zone(s) labeled and configured something like this. Look through your Zones and Knobs, maybe you have it.

Zone. Knob1 K2 K3 K4 K5 K6 K7 K8

So. Simulcast 56 Wild 55 Wild 22Wild and so on for every South site

Ocean/Burl. GSP C. GSP S. GSP N. GSP All. and so on

Bordentown. GSP C. GSP S. GSP N. GSP All and so on

And so on

My .02. Learn to program and understand the function and logic of both the G5 and systems such as the NJICS. Then you will understand how to program your G5 exactly how you want it. You will also be able to keep it up to date when system changes occur.

I currently use 12 Zones with each Knob (8) position assigned. While not perfect the G5 is very very good given as it is NAS. Search is your friend. Good luck.

Attachments

• D30C3659-8E61-4CDB-B827-9AC13C70DF4E.jpeg
    D30C3659-8E61-4CDB-B827-9AC13C70DF4E.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 11

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I updated the info by downloading for RR data base. Still dropping out at times. In my dining room it drops out, 10 feet away in my living room, its solid. Here are some pictures and info. As a note, the Monmouth South sits constantly drop out on me everywhere at my house.
I know cell sites mess up the older Uniden and Whistler scanners with simulcast, can it be my issue too? I'll be heading to North NJ later for 2 days, I will see how sites up there work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    519.2 KB · Views: 34

rr60

Premium Subscriber
So then back to where we began, your first post said you were on Burl Ocean but you were displaying 1/22. Suggest verify that your display now shows 1/56? Must show 56.

This G5 is or was not new correct? Dealer used inventory? Look and carefully inspect center pin for antenna. Look carefully at antenna too.Is it a factory antenna? Color band? New out of box from dealer might be interesting comparison.

Cell site trouble, maybe. The cell site would have to be very close. Less than 1/2 mile generally. Local RFI in your home, maybe. Some folks disco mains or individual circuits and see if that changes things.

Voice buffer option. Try with and without perhaps.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
It is a dealer demo.
The pin looks good, the antenna is factory with blue stripe.
Confirm I now show 1/56.
I am 0.19 miles or 997 feet from the cell tower.
Voice buffering is on.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
It is a dealer demo.
Confirm I now show 1/56.
Voice buffering is on.
Nice job reprograming!

Yikes…..that is certainly a possibility. When I drive with G5 on dash I will get monetary drop outs of any 700 MHZ system when near many but not all cell sites. If you have not already searched box above, this forum, de-sense and separate cell or cellular. Plenty of discussion. A cheap SDR and software would permit you to look at band visually below 769MHZ to confirm.

If the home is a priority, consider heading over to the Harris forum, search same topics. Perhaps an avenue to explore. I have no experience with Harris NAS. Maybe someone will chime in.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Nice job reprograming!

Yikes…..that is certainly a possibility. When I drive with G5 on dash I will get monetary drop outs of any 700 MHZ system when near many but not all cell sites. If you have not already searched box above, this forum, de-sense and separate cell or cellular. Plenty of discussion. A cheap SDR and software would permit you to look at band visually below 769MHZ to confirm.

If the home is a priority, consider heading over to the Harris forum, search same topics. Perhaps an avenue to explore. I have no experience with Harris NAS. Maybe someone will chime in.
Thanks for the help, after I took the antenna off to check the pin, the radio locked onto site 56 and didn't drop for over 2 hours. Maybe the antenna wasn't all the way on or something with the pin.

FishScan

What is your RSSI inside vs outside? It sounds like your just in a low signal area.

TR-613

Premium Subscriber
It is a dealer demo.
Confirm I now show 1/56.
Voice buffering is on.
what tgs are you able to hear on ocean/ burlington co site?, as i monitor monmouth co. simulcast & i don't really get consistent chatter on gsp channels, im curious what site the gsp tg archive stream is locked into to get full comms on njsp. is there a way to find out which tg works well on which site?

mdsxfire

EDBM
We had a few pagers in the last few years that had to be sent back because they were constantly dropping in and out of signal, and with our TRS that happens pretty much no where in the county. We were sent new units and told the receiver boards had “died” on them. If ur still having issues and I believe u said it was a used pager from a vendor it may have a bad receiver board.