Unication G5 on Texas Wide Area Network P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmontes77029

I am seriously thinking about dropping some cash for the Unication G5 receiver in hopes of solving my distortion issues. But first I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone used it to monitor this particular system (TxWarn P25)? If so, did it perform better than a bcd536hp or the TRX scanner models?

2. Can you also monitor the police and sheriffs departments on it in addition to fire and ems.

3. Is it easy to program.

4. Does it scan through the talk groups in particular system like a scanner and stop once it detects traffic?

Thanks in advance. I may have more questions that may come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swipesy

I was not suggesting you posted this in the wrong forum. Just directing to you where you would find answers to your non specific Texas questions. You may well wish to leave it here to see if you get Texas specifc answers. If you want it moved I think you click on the red triangle at the right coner of your post and ask a moderator t move it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Oh ok. Thanks. I will leave it hear for Texas specific answers. Thank you for your help.

I'm not in Houston, nor do I have one of the Unications. However, I know there are several people on the HoustonScan Yahoo group that have used them on TxWARN P25 in the Houston Metro area. You might check in there as well.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I am seriously thinking about dropping some cash for the Unication G5 receiver in hopes of solving my distortion issues. But first I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone used it to monitor this particular system (TxWarn P25)? If so, did it perform better than a bcd536hp or the TRX scanner models?

2. Can you also monitor the police and sheriffs departments on it in addition to fire and ems.

3. Is it easy to program.

4. Does it scan through the talk groups in particular system like a scanner and stop once it detects traffic?

Thanks in advance. I may have more questions that may come up.

1. Im in Dallas and am just outside the closest site for TxWarn. So not i have not officially put it into my G4.

2. You can monitory anything that is Phase 1 (Phase 2 coming "soon" but will cost as an additional upgrade)

3. Easy is relative to the individual who is doing the programming. I think it is, but thats just me.

4. You program up the talk groups you want to monitor. It will stop on traffic. There is no hold button so if you have multiple talk groups it sill scan them. What i have done on mine is set up miltiple scan lists per channel then set some channels with just the one talk group. So i have the option to scan or sit on just a channel. Keep in mind y our on a wide area network and a radio needs to be affiliated with the site your closest to to pass traffic on that particular talk group.

This units capability to pick up Phase 1 systems compares to my other commercial gear. XTS2500, APX7000, KNG2-P800. I compare scanners to scanners, Uniden to Whistler, and i compare Commercial gear to commercial gear, So Motorola, Unication, Relm.
Im happy with my G4.

jmontes77029

1. Im in Dallas and am just outside the closest site for TxWarn. So not i have not officially put it into my G4.

2. You can monitory anything that is Phase 1 (Phase 2 coming "soon" but will cost as an additional upgrade)

3. Easy is relative to the individual who is doing the programming. I think it is, but thats just me.

4. You program up the talk groups you want to monitor. It will stop on traffic. There is no hold button so if you have multiple talk groups it sill scan them. What i have done on mine is set up miltiple scan lists per channel then set some channels with just the one talk group. So i have the option to scan or sit on just a channel. Keep in mind y our on a wide area network and a radio needs to be affiliated with the site your closest to to pass traffic on that particular talk group.

This units capability to pick up Phase 1 systems compares to my other commercial gear. XTS2500, APX7000, KNG2-P800. I compare scanners to scanners, Uniden to Whistler, and i compare Commercial gear to commercial gear, So Motorola, Unication, Relm.

Im happy with my G4.

Thank you for your input. I am really convinced to put the money out to buy the G5 model. I have been casually scanning for years but now I am really getting into it seriously.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I think its a a great little device. Its a pager first so the way we use it as a scanner still has its quirks. But with the proper programming, and lots of re-programming in my case i got mine just right.

i learned recently that the phase 2 is an upgrade that will cost but unication hasnt released a date or price yet. Ive had mine 6 months and was under the impression it was a standard firmware upgrade, not an additional feature to purchase. Some of us early adopters are not happy about it but i dont want to be negative. It is what it is. Uniden charged for its additional features so im sure its justified. I do know licensing costs money.

IF its in your budget its a great device. Im also 2 weeks into owning a Relm KNG2-P800 and im really liking it. Wont get a ton of use now but its going to get a lot more use as cities around me go phase 2.

Heck my dad might even get my G4. He wont be able to program it but i know he likes to listen to fire dept where he lives so ill set it up for him accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.