• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Priority scanning on P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbruce0571

I have been using this pager for quite a while now along side my Minitor 6. I have not been successful in getting priority scanning to work correctly on P25. I have a knob position that scans fire dispatch and 4 OPS talkgroups. If someone is talking on a OPS talkgroup and then CCOM starts a dispatch on the dispatch talkgroup, the G5 never gets back to the dispatch talkgroup before they drop the tones and complete the dispatch. I am using QCII to activate the G5 for calls and that works great as long as no one is talking on another talkgroup. I scan multiple channels on my Minitor 6 (different county dispatches) and it has no issues getting to the dispatch channel for dispatching calls if it was on another channel. I have the box checked beside priority talkgroup ID option and my dispatch talkgroup at the top of the list. This becomes an issue on missing calls if the county is busy.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
P25 trunking? Priority has to be enabled on the system in order for it to work.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Priority scan is enabled on the system. Just verified
The priority scan is not a radio system controlled thing, it is a feature of the receiving radio. For the G5, it has to be programmed for priority trunking scan, it will then preempt TG lower on the list, when a higher TG keys up.

bberns22

Basically you sort the TG’s from highest priority to lowest. The radio will the move to any TG that is listed higher than the one you are listening too.

dbruce0571

2 tones are 3 sec long. My G5 would never switch back to the dispatch TG as long as an ops channel was talking. I mean a 15 sec dispatch would be completely missed. I have the dispatch on the top of the list and priority checked. I just loaded Beta 1.30 into the G5 that has a different priority scan list setup. Will test later when I get back in market.

dbruce0571

Still unsuccessful with priority scan with 1.3 software. Tried the new section for priority scan with the dispatch channel and put the ops channels in the non priority list. Still will not come off of the ops channel and move to the priority channel that is the dispatch channel. Just missed another activation for a medical call because some one was talking on the ops channel. Ive sent logs to Unication and waiting to hear back. Getting frustrated.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Still unsuccessful with priority scan with 1.3 software. Tried the new section for priority scan with the dispatch channel and put the ops channels in the non priority list. Still will not come off of the ops channel and move to the priority channel that is the dispatch channel. Just missed another activation for a medical call because some one was talking on the ops channel. Ive sent logs to Unication and waiting to hear back. Getting frustrated.
Yeah that’s strange I have two G5’s with priority setup on different knob settings and I don’t even think I miss the first part of the first word it catches it so fast, being on a TRS the CC tells the pager that that TG is coming through I believe as soon as the mic is keyed up so nothing should be missed let alone 15 seconds of a dispatch, I don’t see how it could be a hardware issue, possibly something corrupt in the code plug or pps?? Definitely at a loss

amys17

Premium Subscriber
This isn't a direct fix, but a suggestion that might help until unication gets back to you. Under the sub group, do you have alternatives enabled for your tgid that your tones are on? If not, enable them just in case. You will hear all traffic, not just dispatch, but worth a shot to see if it improves so you don't miss a call until unication can look at it.

dbruce0571

I have alternatives enabled. Here is a screen shot of how one of my knob positions is configured that the priority scan won't pick up the TG. Maybe I'm missing something here. Do you have to use voice buffering?

Attachments

• PPS-1.JPG
    PPS-1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 123
  • pps-2.png
    pps-2.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 121
  • pps-3.png
    pps-3.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 115

N6ML

Whether or not priority "scan" can work *may* depend on the system that you're monitoring. If the pager receives only one channel at a time (I don't know if it's capable of monitoring the control channel *and* a voice channel simultaneously), for priority to work, it would depend on the system sending channel grant updates (control data) on the voice channels, as well as on the control channel. Without that, if the pager is receiving voice trafffic, it has no way of knowing that the other talkgroup has become active. From what I've read, not all P25 systems send channel grant updates on voice channels.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I have alternatives enabled. Here is a screen shot of how one of my knob positions is configured that the priority scan won't pick up the TG. Maybe I'm missing something here. Do you have to use voice buffering?
Put the dispatch in the revert group . see if that fixes it

fmulder13

I don’t at all mean to hijack the thread, but I have never seen priority scan set up as you do, where you can select one priority TG. I see the TG’s in one singular list, and priority is assigned up the list. Am I missing something?

N6ML

I don’t at all mean to hijack the thread, but I have never seen priority scan set up as you do, where you can select one priority TG. I see the TG’s in one singular list, and priority is assigned up the list. Am I missing something?

That's how it is in the current (1.2) firmware. 1.3 (not released yet) introduces a new concept of priority and non-priority talkgroups.

mdsxfire

EDBM
You also have voice buffering turned off, that should be on, usually u miss the first second or 2 of traffic with it off. I monitor a Harris and a motorola system that I have priority set up on with no issues. Can u post pics of your alternatives setup tab and also you TG tabs with tour 2 tone setup. It looks like your only monitoring a dispatch TG that you then have revert to ops TGs after a tone is received but your not still also monitoring that dispatch TG until u reset.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Whether or not priority "scan" can work *may* depend on the system that you're monitoring. If the pager receives only one channel at a time (I don't know if it's capable of monitoring the control channel *and* a voice channel simultaneously), for priority to work, it would depend on the system sending channel grant updates (control data) on the voice channels, as well as on the control channel. Without that, if the pager is receiving voice trafffic, it has no way of knowing that the other talkgroup has become active. From what I've read, not all P25 systems send channel grant updates on voice channels.
Is there a way to know? I monitor a Harris and multiple moto systems that I have priority setup on in different knobs and they all work flawlessly

dbruce0571

I don't have the voice buffering on because if I am around a radio, that small delay is annoying. The issue I believe is whether or not the Charlotte UASI system sends TG info across the voice channel. If the voice channel doesn't send the TG info that dispatch is transmitting, then the pager doesn't know to revert to that TG. I doubt this unit can monitor a voice channel and CC at the same time to hear if the dispatch TG is talking.

Attachments

• PPS1.PNG
    PPS1.PNG
    48 KB · Views: 36
  • pps2.PNG
    pps2.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pps3.PNG
    pps3.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 32

AdamHLG

I don't have the voice buffering on because if I am around a radio, that small delay is annoying.

I don't have voice buffering on because it causes an intermittent annoying stutter on some talk groups after some transmissions. By turning it off, it solved the problem. I don't miss any part of the initial transmissions on any talk group with voice buffering turned off. The only issue is that in the PPS software it prompts a warning after I look at any zone / knob setting that says I might miss the beginning of a transmission and I need to click past that message when closing the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.