• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication g5 questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringopfd

Hey all, purchased a g5 and had it programmed for me by the wonderful Ray at Ray‘s pager sales. I can’t say enough about him. Very nice guy. I’m totally green when it comes to scanners and the Unication g5. I purchased the g5 mainly to monitor my local PD and Fire. My first question is,

1. If I decide to plug into the PPS software For the first time to see how this pager is programmed will I lose all the programming that was done for me?

2. I live in Hartford county, Plainville Ct. ..I have Pd And Fire programmed into the g5, I’m having trouble picking up PD. Sometimes it comes in with no problem, and a lot of other times it will be silent for hrs. Are there any suggestions on some changes I need to make to the program? Or could there be a problem with the unit itself?
As I get more familiar with the radio and software I hope to add some more frequencies down the road. Any help would be much appreciated.

NebraskaCoder

1. Reading the pager with PPS will not overwrite any programming already on the pager. Only if you write to the pager will it overwrite the config (you'll be able to see the description and avoid that).
  2. You may have to ask in the local forum for your state/area but it could be that no units are affiliated with the tower you are connected with. You may need to connect with other towers if they are in range or, if it's like my local state system, you will have to wait until a unit connects to the tower you are listening to.

N6ML

1. If I decide to plug into the PPS software For the first time to see how this pager is programmed will I lose all the programming that was done for me?

The first thing you'll want to do is use PPS to create a profile using "Read Profile From Device". You can then tailor it to your preference, and program it to the G5. Ray may be able to send you a copy of the profile to import too - not sure if he keeps copies.

2. I live in Hartford county, Plainville Ct. ..I have Pd And Fire programmed into the g5, I’m having trouble picking up PD. Sometimes it comes in with no problem, and a lot of other times it will be silent for hrs. Are there any suggestions on some changes I need to make to the program? Or could there be a problem with the unit itself?

(Based on the RRDB) it looks like PD is P25, and fire is FM, both on VHF conventional? The G5's not really renowned for having stellar VHF receive. The amplified charging base with an external VHF antenna might help....

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The first thing you'll want to do is use PPS to create a profile using "Read Profile From Device".
Before making any changes, export (save) a copy of the PPS profile to a folder on your computer. That's tab F, then F2 "Export Profile". That gives you a verified good backup to use just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.