• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 repeatedly connects & disconnects so you can't program it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Anyone experienced a Unication G5 constantly connecting and disconnecting? My G5 just arrived an hour ago, in the box, USB cable still sealed in the bag, screen protector on the screen ... but I can't program it.

I have tried now three computers and seven USB micro-cords, the unit connects and disconnects over and over and over, never connecting long enough to program it.

Anyone else experience this?

N6ML

Just a guess ... maybe let the battery charge first?

N6ML

Remove the battery for a couple of mins, then put it back in. If that doesn't sort it out, I dunno ....

county

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue with my G4, a battery pull and reinstall (as suggested above) resolved it for me.

RBMTS

Another suggestion / question . . . Are you using the actual Unication usb cable? Some cables for other devices might not have all the necessary data wire connections. I had a similar problem very first time. Being anxious to get it running I first used a different usb cable I had on my desk. Same issue. I swapped it for the Unication cable and boom it worked.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Using the proper serial and model numbers? I went through the similar thing when I first got mine. Like RBMTS said, use the cable that came with it, some cables are charge only , no data. I took mine to work one day and tried then discovered it was a charge only cable.

sefrischling

Thanks

I had used the OEM cable, that came in a sealed package inside the box, along with six other cables, that are all data cables.

I just yanked the battery for 15min ... still the same persistent issue on three laptops running Win10, Win 7, Win XP, with 7 different cables.

Ugh.

sefrischling

Using the proper serial and model numbers? I went through the similar thing when I first got mine. Like RBMTS said, use the cable that came with it, some cables are charge only , no data. I took mine to work one day and tried then discovered it was a charge only cable.

It would have to actually connect to the software before that would be an issue.

I have been trying the brand new OEM cable, and six others that I know are data cables. I use them with harddrives.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
You only had it 1 hour and say the battery is fully charged. Charge it overnight and see how it works.

amys17

Premium Subscriber
Did you have the software running before you plugged it in? I've heard the drivers don't install it you don't have the pager turned in and plugged in with the software running. I think that's what i remember reading. So bake sure the drivers were installed by using your devicer manager and check the com ports. And not to be stupid. But you did have the pager turned on when you tried to program it correct. Make sure you pull the dust cover all the back - like hard - to make sure the cable gets plugged in all the way. It may seem like it's plugged in, when in reality it isn't seated quite correctly. The dusty cover for the port often makes the connecting not secure.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Install the PPS without the pager connected to the PC. If you connect thae pager first, windows assigns a generic driver. Try uninstalling, then installing the PPS with the pager disconnected. Either way check your device manager. You should see Unication USB Ethernet/RNDIS #

Attachments

• DM.jpg
    DM.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 20

sefrischling

Install the PPS without the pager connected to the PC. If you connect thae pager first, windows assigns a generic driver. Try uninstalling, then installing the PPS with the pager disconnected. Either way check your device manager. You should see Unication USB Ethernet/RNDIS #

Thanks

I had the software installed a few days before I ever got the G5 pager. I had been installed on two different laptops prior to the unit's arrival. When I connect the unit it instantly starts connecting and disconnecting over and over, so I can't even see it in the device manager to try and update anything. This unit was a refurb, I got it from the person you just shipped it back to, who sent it with a full charge.

sefrischling

Even when plugged in to charge the red light goes on, it goes off, it goes on, it goes off. This is with the OEM cord and multiple other data cords I use daily with hard drives, so I know the cord work. I think the USB port has an issue ... off to warranty repair it goes.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
My G4 has done the on/off thing in PPS that you describe since day one. Purchased new. I have to fiddle with the USB cable until it stays on.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Even when plugged in to charge the red light goes on, it goes off, it goes on, it goes off. This is with the OEM cord and multiple other data cords I use daily with hard drives, so I know the cord work. I think the USB port has an issue ... off to warranty repair it goes.
Did this one power up correctly when not attached to the computer?

county

Premium Subscriber
Edited to delete my redundant comment. . I see you did the battery pull. Sorry about the hassle with needing to get a repair done.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Based on what your describing the "refurbished" unit has an issue with the data port. Send it back and ask for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.