• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 unaddressed FAQs and inquiries

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Python script based PPS helper

Didn't want to start a new thread for this ---

After manually entering 1000+ talkgroups over the last two or so months for various systems and not being able to sort or otherwise manage the group data entered, I finally got around to creating a Python script that pulls the talkgroup data directly from RRDB and formats it as insert statements for the underlying sqlite that the pager uses.

It's a first step and there are still a few things I need to do to load the data but it's a whole lot better than clicking through the rows and columns to enter the group data data manually.

As time permits, I'm going to look at improving the script as well as looking at other functions beyond just group data (i.e. systems, sites, frequencies, etc.). I see lots of possibilities.

This script finally gave me the opportunity for the first time since getting my G4 to start with a clean slate.

I created a new profile and then added the Baltimore City system and groups and then created a zone with 5 switch positions for the system's talkgroups. Initially, after pushing the configuration to the G4, the radio unexpectedly displayed a message that indicated the radio was "unprogrammed". Odd.... I determined that, although the PPS detects and stops you from creating new groups with the same label, the database doesn't care and accepts them. But then the radio doesn't like it. I went back and fixed the dupe groups and made the labels unique and all went smoothly (for this first system) after that.

Next, I did the same for Baltimore County MD... things went pretty well....

Next, I added the Maryland State system and it's 425 or so talkgroups... and learned a couple of things here as well.... First, I ran into the duplicate label issue again (next thing on my list to detect with my script). Interesting, in this case, the duplicate labels didn't stop the radio from booting properly like I saw with the dupes in the first (Baltimore City) system. Rather, instead, the radio refused to find an lock onto any control channel frequency for the system. Once I fixed the dupes on this system, it starting locking onto a CC without and issues.

It was at this point I found the radio to be pretty sluggish (saw this early on after getting the radio but couldn't put my finger on what exactly caused it to be sluggish). I now have programmed:

• 3 systems in 8 variations (search, specific sites, etc.)
  • 784 unique talkgroups for these 3 systems
  • 6 zones programmed with 25 switch positions of various mixtures of talkgroups - several with the maximum 64 talkgroups assigned
  • all talkgroups with recording enabled
On the radio, for the State system (and sometimes the others), I have enabled Monitor Mode. I've done this primary on the state system because the system is almost 100% Phase 2 (patiently waiting!). My goal with monitor mode is two-fold:

• watch for the possibility that a talkgroup dynamically changes to Phase 1 (it happens occasionally on this system)
  • allow ANY talkgroup to popup on any switch position since there are more than 400 talkgroups and each switch position only allows 64 talkgroups
Always learning ---

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I decided that 1300 talkgroups loaded onto the radio was just too much ... the radio became extremely slow to respond to both user interaction and keeping up with displaying the talkgroup that was active. I also found a crashed unit this morning...

This morning, still using the script, I created a new configuration that reduced the number of systems from 16 to 4 and and talkgroups from 1300 to 476. The radio seems to be responding better with this "lighter load".

I curious -- have others loaded large numbers of systems and talkgroups on their G4/G5? If so, have you noticed similar things? I'm trying to determine if the degradation is from the shear number of talkgroups and systems or other things like the number of zone/switch configurations, zone/switch positions with large/max number of talkgroups assigned, and/or recording also impacts the unit. I suspect all do -- I'm just trying to determine which of these impacts things more than others.

I'd be curious to hear some input from Dave and Unication on this as well.

Unication

it would be sweet if Unication made scanners with everything this would BLOW away all scanners on the market if Unication did this.i just got the TRX-2 works better than the Pro-197 i had

troymail

Silent Key
Work continues --

I can now generate a new G4 profile containing the 224 sites, 425 control channels frequencies, and 1700+ talkgroups of NC VIPER in about 3 1/2 minutes....

After that, I still need to create zones/switch positions using the imported system data but that's not as bad as typing all of the system data in by hand (I wouldn't have even tried to manually enter all of the above).

There are several manual steps in the current process. I think my next step is going to be directly interfacing with sqlite via Python which should cut the time down by at least half....

Last edited:

lite_c

That's very clever using a Python import script. I guess it would just be a matter of ensuring compatibility to input into the PPS fields from the RRDB. I'd be very tempted to do that if I were to travel to a new area and monitor (like STARS or more of VIPER for that matter). For my sake, I'm doing manual inputs for now.

So the threshold for operation is around 1,000 TGs? I would have expected that. But after looking into the programming, it is very convenient to be able to use different profiles. This solves up a lot of flexibility issues. Functions a lot like ARC programs and even FreeScan's structuring, which makes it a lot simpler than I expected.

ccfd7031

Hate to bring back an old thread but this is where my search brought me.

troymail, did you continue work on your excellent sounding script? If so is it available for use?

I am attempting to locate a G5 (uhf) profile for the Palmetto system with my focus being on the Augusta, Savannah, and Spartanburg areas. If anyone may have something out that way please let me know. I'm wharre iopen rs for anything in the area really. Short notice from work and that's al

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The last gripe is the inability to monitor multiple systems/conventional frequencies. Understand that there are alot of agencies out there that use alot of different means for communication. Most revolving around conventional analog, conventional P25 and P25 Trunking. Most agencies aren't given the privilege of hearing their neighboring agency's let alone given the permission to talk. With a feature like this you help alot of people in an official capacity to get the information they need to do their job.

As a public safety communications professional, I would add to that statement. At least around here the major difficulty is the inability of the unit to scan multiple sites of the same trunked system.

Most areas around Central Ohio rely on multiple towers for coverage, and you can't always guarantee that what you need to hear is on the site you're monitoring. Multiple site scanning would be very helpful.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Maybe someday they'll produce a scanner but this is still a pager with a specific intended audience. From some features implemented or changed over the last year, it is pretty obvious some leadership are concerned about folks making changes to the programming (for their job), they don't want folks missing alerts/notifications because they weren't monitoring what they were suppose to be monitoring.

u7string

Premium Subscriber
Ok, found the folder with multiple folders and databases, just need figure out which one I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.