Unication G5 vs. Uniden SDS-100 on NWCD Simulcast (in Schaumburg Area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRadio

So I’ve had my VHF/800 Unication G5 for almost 2 years now. It’s performance on NWCDS’s LSM/simulcast in the Schaumburg/Hoffman area has been phenomenal.

Scanning the same system, my BCD325P2 misses about 50% of the calls completely, and usually at least 20-30 percent of what ever transmissions it does decode.

I've read much about the Uniden SDS100 in the past. The last I heard was that the G5 is still superior as the SDS100 would still miss some traffic.

As most of you probably know, the one drawback of the Unication is that you can only monitor 1 trunked system at a time.

Some time has now passed (and some things may have changed). Is there anyone that can tell me how well the SDS100 handles NWCD LSM/simulcast in the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area lately?

I’d also like to know if the SDS200 decode performance is any better/worse (although the design should be the same)?

Thanks for any input!

-Dave

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The G5 receiver is a little more sensitive and rejects off-channel interference better. But in most cases, the SDS models will get very close to 100% of traffic if you hold on a system, unless there are multiple simultaneous transmissions. THey will consistently receive traffic where other scanners get nothing due to simulcast. The SDS100 and -200 perform similarly when connected to a common antenna. I have both.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can you hold on a Talk Group on the G5 to follow a situation ?....TY
I don't have one of the G5s or other Unications, but comments I've seen in the past indicate that, no, you cannot hold on a talkgroup. If that has changed, I'm sure someone will point it out.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
You cannot hold on a TG, however you there is enough room to create multiple zones in the Unication pagers. I have some zones that have a single TG so I can monitor just that one. It would be easier if Unication would have a Hold and Avoid, however.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
None of the posts are addressing the question. It's turning into a "I like my pager too" thread. The question IS how it works compared to the Uniden products for the North West Central Dispatch in ILLINOIS near Schaumburg IL. I'm also curious as that's what I listen to. So far, nobody with a 100 or 200 has commented on the exact question. We already know the Unication pagers work great here and the SDS works in other places. Maybe Youtube has some videos of people from here listening to NWCD Mr. Radio? There ARE some comparing Unication pagers with SDS100 or 200 -- Actually found ONE such video but with 2 unidens trying to get NWCD

Last edited by a moderator:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS scanners have a proven track record working well on hundreds of other simulcast systems. It's not like your system is special and different from every other simulcast system in a way that invalidates everyone's experience with other systems.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
The SDS scanners have a proven track record working well on hundreds of other simulcast systems. It's not like your system is special and different from every other simulcast system in a way that invalidates everyone's experience with other systems.
Yeah, but it's a $700 dollar RISK. He wants more proof. $$$$ there ya go

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The only really absolute proof would be someone doing a house call to demonstrate reception at the house. That doesn't seem like a realistic ask.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
That is your narrative. He didn't ask for that. Video shows SDS100 comes in good NWCD

RBMTS

I have the SDS200 and I can tell you that it works really well on either the Dupage county or NWCD sites. Both of these sites are notorious for LSM/simulcast problems on typical scanners. I am in the Schaumburg / Elk Grove Village area quite often and have monitored for many hours on the 200. You'll be happy with the performance of the SDS series in that area. They will track the P1 and P2 comms nicely, especially if you utilize the site hold feature.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Add another vote for the SDS200. I absolutely love mine, and it works flawlessly on the NWCDS site. My older scanners couldn't get a lock on the DuPage site, but the 200 can lock onto it plus track it perfectly too (I don't normally, but I have the option). The recording and playback features are nice to have if something happens too. Definitely recommend.

blackbelter

I also agree that SDS 200 is a great scanner with many capabilities and works great on my systems .

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm able to monitor NWCD Fire via Site 1-001 (DuPage County) from my house near Midway on both my SDS100 & SDS200 without issues if that helps. I think many of the police departments are encrypted.

MrRadio

The G5 receiver is a little more sensitive and rejects off-channel interference better. But in most cases, the SDS models will get very close to 100% of traffic if you hold on a system, unless there are multiple simultaneous transmissions. THey will consistently receive traffic where other scanners get nothing due to simulcast. The SDS100 and -200 perform similarly when connected to a common antenna. I have both.

Thanks for that info. Jon.

MrRadio

None of the posts are addressing the question. It's turning into a "I like my pager too" thread. The question IS how it works compared to the Uniden products for the North West Central Dispatch in ILLINOIS near Schaumburg IL. I'm also curious as that's what I listen to. So far, nobody with a 100 or 200 has commented on the exact question. We already know the Unication pagers work great here and the SDS works in other places. Maybe Youtube has some videos of people from here listening to NWCD Mr. Radio? There ARE some comparing Unication pagers with SDS100 or 200 -- Actually found ONE such video but with 2 unidens trying to get NWCD

Thanks Johnny. I have not found any vids of others listening to NWCD besides the one or two you did.

As you said, I was looking specifically for anyone that has monitored NWCD from Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates with both a Uniden SDS100 and Unication G5.

MrRadio

I have the SDS200 and I can tell you that it works really well on either the Dupage county or NWCD sites. Both of these sites are notorious for LSM/simulcast problems on typical scanners. I am in the Schaumburg / Elk Grove Village area quite often and have monitored for many hours on the 200. You'll be happy with the performance of the SDS series in that area. They will track the P1 and P2 comms nicely, especially if you utilize the site hold feature.

Thanks Randy. I live in Schaumburg and one block away is Hoffman Estates. As Jon pointed out, the only way to know is have someone do a house call to demonstrate reception, which is not realistic. That said, I figured surely someone in one of the largest villages of IL would have an SDS100 and G5 (or G4). I guess I was wrong.

MrRadio

So after speaking with Rich N9JIG, I ordered the SDS100.

I'm reading up on programming now. I used to program a few systems on the BC780, 796, 396, and 325P2 manually right out of the box to test them. Then, I'd break out the ARC software and custom program all my systems the way I like.

This time it looks like it's going to be a little different. I have used several ARC and WIN programming applications but never Uniden's own. Hopefully it will not be too cumbersome. Once I have it up and running and can compare the two radios, I'll update my thread for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.