• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Wild Card Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd9fli

Is there a way to scan/monitor all talk groups on a P25 trunking system. Can you set up a talk group with with lets say TG id's 0000 or 65535. This would eliminate the TG ID number limit for a knob position. I tried this and it did not work for me.

cpetraglia

Go into menu on the pager and set monitor mode to on. This has to be done per system. It will receive any Phase I TG on the system just as a wild card. I have tried all the wild card entries discussed here. I don't believe they work for p-25 trunking.

jmontes77029

Will potentially drive you crazy if encryption is in use.

I seen on the webinar video on YouTube and I believe it says to enter all f's for the sites. Can't remember exactly as the video is to long to figure out where he discussed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanesFan95

Does it let you program a delay hold time like 5 or 10 seconds before it resumes scanning? How many talk groups can you program in it and how many can you scan at a time?

CanesFan95

Well, that's a big bummer, cos that means it'll just keep jumping from one talk group to another as soon as the transmission ends. So you'll just get a random mixture of conversations like you're conventionally scanning a trunking system.

cpetraglia

Or you program each of your favorite TGs to a different knob position. Put them all in position 1 and then switch when you want to follow a single TG. You have many zones that can be configured however you like.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Well, that's a big bummer, cos that means it'll just keep jumping from one talk group to another as soon as the transmission ends. So you'll just get a random mixture of conversations like you're conventionally scanning a trunking system.

In my opinion these radios are not the best for monitoring at home. For me the G5 is just for keeping tabs on what's going on in my city while I'm mobile. That's its strong suit, and it does that job extremely well. For that task I have one knob position with all the city's public safety dispatch channels. Then another with just talk groups of interest along my commute route. Then a single knob position for each police precinct dispatch, another knob for fire tacs, etc. It's true while monitoring all the city's dispatch channels it can sound pretty random, but when the shyt hits the fan somewhere my attention is quickly gotten. Then I just turn the knob to a more focused scan list. It's all about the programming. Yes I really, really wish it had scan delay. And talk group hold. And there remains the chance those features will be added in a future firmware release. But you can make it work pretty darn well right now without those.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I don't really see this option for monitoring all TG's in a specific system. Learned this by trial and error.

When you set up a knob position in a 'zone', there is a drop down in the first panel of 'zone & channel setting' (D-5 in the PPS) where you can select a 'receiving mode'. There are two for trunking, the first is 'trunking TG-scan' which only monitors those talk groups you have entered. The second is 'Trunking TG-monitor' which will monitor ALL the TG's in the system for that knob position.

troymail

Silent Key
I don't really see this option for monitoring all TG's in a specific system. Learned this by trial and error.

When you set up a knob position in a 'zone', there is a drop down in the first panel of 'zone & channel setting' (D-5 in the PPS) where you can select a 'receiving mode'. There are two for trunking, the first is 'trunking TG-scan' which only monitors those talk groups you have entered. The second is 'Trunking TG-monitor' which will monitor ALL the TG's in the system for that knob position.

FWIW - this is an old thread.

I believe the "on radio" monitor option mentioned above was replaced in the latest firmware (September 2017?) with (a) a 'wildcard' talkgroup (0xFFFF / 65535) and/or (b) the "TG Monitor" option you are now seeing in the latest PPS (also September 2017).

LEH

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - this is an old thread.

I believe the "on radio" monitor option mentioned above was replaced in the latest firmware (September 2017?) with (a) a 'wildcard' talkgroup (0xFFFF / 65535) and/or (b) the "TG Monitor" option you are now seeing in the latest PPS (also September 2017).

True, but my comment might help someone (like me) who is just starting out with the G5 decide which mode they want. Especially when some of the instructions in the PPS don't reflect current configuration of the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.