Unication Pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3190

Premium Subscriber
does anyone use a Unication G4 or G5 to scan police frequencies? Does it pick up MSP and are there any other departments that you are able to pick up? Are there any department you can't hear at all

DisasterGuy

The G5 (this current firmware) does an adequate job on any P25 (Phase 1 or 2) system we have tested it on. The only reason you wouldn't be able to receive a group would be if it is encrypted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maus92

Premium Subscriber
does anyone use a Unication G4 or G5 to scan police frequencies? Does it pick up MSP and are there any other departments that you are able to pick up? Are there any department you can't hear at all
You can set the G4/G5 to "scan" MSP talk groups on the Maryland FIRST system, however it is a pager and not a scanner - which means it is not as flexible as a scanner. You could set it up where each barracks has its own knob position, or you could "scan" a group of MSP TGs on one knob position. The Unication pagers do a very good job decoding (receiving) MSP barracks dispatch channels,. but most of their specialized units and sensitive transmissions are encrypted.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The Unication pagers do a very good job decoding (receiving) MSP barracks dispatch channels,. but most of their specialized units and sensitive transmissions are encrypted.
The Unication G4/G5 can decode encryption if you have the key, where scanners can not. There is also an encryption avoid coming in the new firmware for those without a key that do not want to hear the garbled data.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Unication G4/G5 can decode encryption if you have the key, where scanners can not. There is also an encryption avoid coming in the new firmware for those without a key that do not want to hear the garbled data.
It can, but not in this scenario - doubtful the OP is authorized to have keys installed / in his possession - and should be noted that it would be illegal for a person not authorized to use them.

emtLarmy15

It can, but not in this scenario - doubtful the OP is authorized to have keys installed / in his possession.

And to do it you have to have the raw key... the state will not give the raw key data. You take a kvl to them and they load the key(s) on it. They won’t even load the key into any device or software that it’s in anyway possible to get a raw key.

u7string

Premium Subscriber
I’m in Harford Co and have a G4 with Phase 1 and 2. I mainly just monitor the CMARC system, and MSP barrack D is rebroadcast on that system, which is convenient, but can listen to MSP on the First system just fine as well.

At work my HP 1 works perfect since I’m so close to a tower and don’t experience any simulcast interference, but at home, forget it, total paperweight. G4’s performance is just awesome everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

empire550

Premium Subscriber

Does the pager decrypt DES and AES or just DES?

Status
Not open for further replies.