• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication U3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I've put a few test talkgroups into a DMR channel, I need to get home to program the radio and see how the list is accessible.

PaulScreen Shot 2020-04-13 at 3.56.52 AM.png

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Looked at the BK's, but the special rx only key they need to provide which is one time use only seemed impossible to work with?
I have a BK KNG2-P800 and am not following what your talking about. But its not directly related to the subject so PM me if you can.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am currently begging Unication to add the HOLD and BLOK functions to the U3 that they have recently added to the mainline firmware for the G series pagers. Would also be nice if the U3 had trunked priority available, as the G series do.

The U3 also has some very odd and uncommon behavior, such as the LED functions. o_OScreen Shot 2020-09-03 at 2.05.05 PM.png

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Took the U3 out in the field in a car for the first time...in a backup vehicle with no radios installed, so I needed every receiver I had on hand. The U3 speaker output is, well, it has a speaker that makes some sound. Audio output is extremely low, basically unusable while driving. Compared to the 500mw audio output of my APX4000, the U3 puts out maybe half the usable audio lecel, due to speaker being behind the keypad, with only a few tiny slits for passthrough. I would rate it at 300mw max, similar to the Unication G series pagers. Unlike the G series pagers, there is no audio distortion at this 300mw level, no background DSP hiss, and the DSP delay is identical to a Motorola APX, meaning no annoying echo effect when they hit on the same talkgroup.

I really wish I could find a use for this thing. No multi system scan, no priority scan, no nuisance delete, changing zones requires intense staring at the screen with menu going away upon talkgroup receive like G series, and the process being very complex and taking around 10 seconds. Add to that the extremely low treble audio, heavy weight, no real RSM or accessory options. The boot up time from powered off is also 1 minute 15 seconds...you have to remove the battery and put it back on or else the radio stays in standby and is dead on a week.

If you need an in home desk radio, with good RX sensitivity, non affiliate scan, to lock onto a single talkgroup at a time, or don't need to change zones much, this could work out for you, otherwise, buy a used APX1000/2000/4000 for under $1000.

Paul

trido

Premium Subscriber
Have you had to buy batteries for your U3? Two of us inquired but they want 129 dollars.

Last edited:

ECFD

It’s strange what a flop this radio wound up being, especially considering how great the Gx pagers are [ even if there are a few features still being implemented/improved ]. Any chance Uni will act on user feedback and overhaul the U3?

trido

Premium Subscriber
i doubt it on u 3 ,i am told by them the uni scanner is still to come.

It’s strange what a flop this radio wound up being, especially considering how great the Gx pagers are [ even if there are a few features still being implemented/improved ]. Any chance Uni will act on user feedback and overhaul the U3?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Mine came with 2 batteries from the factory. Continuing to deal with the extreme low audio, at times having to hold the speaker grill at full volume up to my ear like a cell phone to hear anything. If they gave the G series or future scanners this level of speaker output, along with the clean hiss free and delay free (low latency DSP) P25 decoder, it would be a winner. The hiss and DSP latency on the G series are the main reasons I hate using them. Problem is, this competes, and outprices, a used APX4000, or even matches the price on an APX6000, which completely outclass and outperform it by every measure.

Paul

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Forever, 2 way radio's were Green on / Rx, RED was Transmit.

Why did this change? I see no logical reason for it.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Motorola made it green for TX on the TRBO radios...red means out of range...I guess green means good red means bad to non professional radio users?

:-\

Paul

• Haha
Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.