Policy Unication wiki page had content deleted by an employee - suspicious? odd?

jabbeaux

Noticed the wiki page about Unication

shows an edit history where a manufacturer account "UnicationKelly" made some edits to delete content. I'm not sure why as the link they removed did work, and still does. Seems odd a manufacturer would make an edit, both for ethical reasons but also without footnote or explanation given the link did work then and still does. And their website right now still lists that firmware as the "current' version.

Edit history

Could my fellow wiki editors help me understand when we allow the manufacturer to make edits, and what the proper documentation is when removing content (that isn't stale or dead info)?

Attachments

• uni screenshot website.png
    uni screenshot website.png
    462.9 KB · Views: 29

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You must understand that the wiki is a public resource for RR members. If this individual who changed the wiki is a member s/he can change it as they see fit. While there are certain restrictions to things we allow here, these changes are well within spec. There are certain pages that are locked down that support the wiki's structure, but this isn't one of them. I'll let Bob AK9R make further comments since he is technically the wiki admin

Mike

jabbeaux

Thanks ka3jjz. I fully agree the wiki can - and even should - be changed by nearly anyone. While edit history shows I've put a lot of work into that page, I take no umbrage in others improving it. Indeed, I hope people do and have publicly encouraged others to edit.

What caught my eye, and where clarification from wiki admins would help me, is understanding primarily two things.
  1. Under what conditions is it permissible to delete content from a page. When doing so, what are best practices for documenting why, and avoiding even the appearance of nefarious activity.
  2. What's RR's Conflict of Interest Policy. For example, wikipedia has an extensive description of their policy here Wikipedia:Conflict of interest - Wikipedia . I realize their policy is not ours, however, and maybe we do allow (encourage?) companies to self-edit their own wiki pages. Or maybe it's just that we have no policy on this at all.
As regards the current edits and barring that person's explanation, I tend to view through the lens of the now-famous quote "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." But I would hope the company would have the good sense to realize how terribly bad it looks for them to vandalize (defined here) a page about their hardware.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the history of edits is visible in the Wiki, it's easy for someone to see what was changed. If there is evidence of nefarious activity, I can revert the edits and even ban the person who took the nefarious action.

Conflict of Interest? The RR Wiki is a user-editable resource. If a legitimate user edits a page, I'm not sure how conflict of interest applies. I have no issues with company representatives editing the RR Wiki articles that pertain to their products. And, this generally has not been a problem in the past. If other users feel that these edits are a detriment, users can notify me and I can look into it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Looks to me like it's a simple case of Unication cautioning against upgrading to v1.34 firmware. They removed the link to it and added a cautionary note in it's place.

If there's more to this than I must be missing something.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
With or without onions?
Raw or fried up, either way I'm good! Now I'm hungry.

Since you chimed in...everyone please refrain from using them big words that I quoted...Kevin does not like having to break out the dictionary to look them up! :ROFLMAO: