unid 413 NDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA8ZTZ

Hearing a NDB on 413 with ID of NDA. Cannot find this in any database. (miskeying perhaps?). Anybody else hearing this?

Also hearing SOO on 368... could be SOY Sioux Center, Iowa miskeying, has been going on for months. Anybody else hearing the same thing?

Last edited:

AlphaFive

NDB

Good morning, my knowledge of LW / MW / HF is very minimal. When I see something I don't understand, I do my best to read and learn. As best I can tell, NDB is referring to the non directional beacons. I am trying to learn how you are able to decipher identities from the beacon signals. Are you using a software application to determine the signals? I understand that software exists, for example, I believe Multipsk is supposed to be used for A.L.E. What would be of use for NDB's. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
A little more reading seems to indicate that NDB's are nothing more than Morse Code. Well that explains that, simply learn the code. Thanks anyway, take care.

Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

You are right, NDB stands for nondirectional beacon (meaning it sends a contant signal in every direction). These beacons transmit a carrier with amplitude modulated tone morse signals in the longwave band (190-530) just below the AM broadcast band. They are an aviation navigational aid. The morse identifier typically two or three letters is transmitted over and over at a slow speed. A pilot really doesn't have to know morse code because the sending is so slow and the dots and dashes are printed out and decoded for him on his approach plate booklet. A good NDB database is Hepburn's www.dxinfocentre.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.