Uniden 246T and Noaa Radio FIPS Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceranes

I am having trouble getting my 246T scanner to activate with the NOAA Weather Radio FIPS codes programmed in. Does the scanner have to be set to the NOAA radio frequency in order to get the Weather Alerts for the programmed county FIPS codes? Can you scan you memory channels and if there is an alert issued, automatically stop on that frequency and let you hear the broadcasted message?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Does the scanner have to be set to the NOAA radio frequency in order to get the Weather Alerts for the programmed county FIPS codes?

Yes.

Can you scan you memory channels and if there is an alert issued, automatically stop on that frequency and let you hear the broadcasted message?

No, not with FIPS codes. You can set it to alert if a warning is issued for anywhere in your area, but that interrupts all comms every few seconds.

ceranes

So if I understand you correctly, the scanner has to be locked onto the 162.400 frequency in order to receive any alert information using the programmed FIPS codes? But if I want to scan through the banks of other channels, I need to set it up differently if I want to hear an alert come across the NOAA channel? After a broadcast, does the scanner resume normal scanning operations or do I need manually press the "scan" or "search" buttons?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Yes

Yes - no FIPS codes, it will alert for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.