Uniden 250D with APCO 25 card

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Uniden 250D with the APCO 25 card installed, for about $270 I hope this will be a nice upgrade over my old Radio Shack 2040,I can't afford anything more expensive right now although I've been slobbering over those $500+ models,I'm sure to pick up more stuff with this?

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
I think that the WV IRP system's control channel is 9600 baud, and I think that the 250D will not decode 9600 baud control channels.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Decided not to get it based on it not being 9600 baud capable,I guess I'm out of luck getting a uniden with APCO 25 and 9600 baud capable for about $270?

Last edited:

blackacid

I believe your options as far as the WV system goes....

BC296D with BCi96 card *no longer sold
BC796D with BCi96 card *no longer sold
PRO-2096
PRO-96
BCD396T
BCD996T
PSR-500
PSR-600

I believe your best bet for a 300$ scanner would be the pro-96/2096. They can sometimes be caught around 300$ used. Usually sell for 300 - 380.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Decided not to get it based on it not being 9600 baud capable,I guess I'm out of luck getting a uniden with APCO 25 and 9600 baud capable for about $270?

When I first moved to WV and got back into scanning, I too didn't want to spent $500 on a scanner. Where I moved from, a plain 200 channel analog worked great and did for a while in Berkeley Co. Other factors that played into getting a scanner was the county in which I work in VA. I saw a plane go down one day while driving for work and among the creepy feeling of just seeing two people die, I thought "I wished I had a scanner." The scanner I needed was a digital trunked scanner. I then found this site and noticed that in teh near future I would need a digital trunked scanner for home as well. I saved up and bought one. I had it a few months before testing on the Berkeley site started. One day when I got home from work all was quite on the analog freqs and the site was up and running full time. it was pretty cool to be ahead of things.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm going to have to add a couple of hundred $$ to get what I need and thanks to wm8s for alerting me to the shortcomings to the 250D. I'll have to wait a little while then.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm going to have to add a couple of hundred $$ to get what I need and thanks to wm8s for alerting me to the shortcomings to the 250D. I'll have to wait a little while then.

I think that would be the best thing to do in your situation. Better than sinking $200+ into a scanner that already won't meet your needs. Just keep that until you have enough. Who knows, by then there may another new model that everyone wants and they will start selling the other 9600 baud radios for the new ones.

dintimid8or

Feed Provider
796d

After using the 796D and the Pro 96, I would definitely recommend the Pro 96. Using the Win96 software, programming is relatively easy. Programming the WVIRP in the 796D is very difficult, and I feel the reception is far less the the Pro 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.