Uniden 346XT and GTA Systems/Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi guys, I was looking at buying a Uniden 346XT off Amazon. I live in Mississauga and really like the model. I am aware that of lot of systems are going p25 Phase ll which the 346 will not decode digital. I cannot afford a 436HP. I think that 600 bucks is a lot of money to put down on a radio that seems to have a lot of bugs. Would this still be a good purchase because it is right in my price range.

Thanks

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, I was looking at buying a Uniden 346XT off Amazon. I live in Mississauga and really like the model. I am aware that of lot of systems are going p25 Phase ll which the 346 will not decode digital. I cannot afford a 436HP. I think that 600 bucks is a lot of money to put down on a radio that seems to have a lot of bugs. Would this still be a good purchase because it is right in my price range.

Thanks

No, it wont be a good option. The only trunked systems that this scanner will do is the MOH EMS (Save Toronto) and the MTO on fleetnet. Hamilton's municipal system is pretty much all encrypted, Halton's has pretty much everything except for the police on digital P25 systems.

Peel is pretty much all P25, Toronto is heading that way this fall, same for Durham and York.

Aside from some rail, all air, and hams your scanner is going to pretty quiet.

You can get a digital scanner for less than $600, this is the way to go these days.

ninfreak

u do not have to get 436HP u can get a bcd396t that will do p25 will save $100.00 the only dif is that 436HP has X2-TDMA compatable and bcd396t does not u can try HomePatrol-1 and seeing your from Mississauga peel shows as phase II but it is a Phase I right now the diff is that phase II has X2-TDMA talk groups and so far peel does not have X2-TDMA talk groups

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
phase II has X2-TDMA talk groups and so far peel does not have X2-TDMA talk groups

Peel will never have X2-TDMA talkgroups. In fact, there's no such thing in Phase II.

Peel will have Phase II TDMA talkgroups.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Why bother buying the analog only scanner now if Toronto is going to switch to their new 700 Meg P25 System in around a month?

Unless you are satisfied with listening to the MOH outside the 416, air, rail, marine (generally quiet unless you are near the lake) GFS and the always exciting MTO (ZZZ) save your $ and buy a digital capable scanner when you have the funds.

If you are serious about buying a scanner please PM me, I might be able to get you started, I cannot really say more in this forum, other than I might have something you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.