Uniden 396 / Outstanding Bugs? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

So what are the outstanding bugs on the 396? I'm also interested in any serious operational issues, such as failure to properly track 'implicit' systems/

I would like to start a list of known bugs, operational issues and finally 'feature requests' so we could consolidate and send to Paul as a unified list.

So what are they? Have all of the 'bugs' been worked out of the firmware, or is there something I'm missing?

chewie327

I can't think of any bugs, but I would love to have a "system hold" where I could scan just one system for a longer period of time than just the couple of seconds I get by pushing F or 255 seconds which is the maximum hold time.

GTO_04

Machine gunning on digital systems. If that issue could be addressed, I would have few complaints about the 396. There are still some EDACS beeps if the transmission occurs after a digital transmission, but it is much less frequent after the firmware upgrade.

GTO_04

wjf

chewie327 said:
I can't think of any bugs, but I would love to have a "system hold" where I could scan just one system for a longer period of time than just the couple of seconds I get by pushing F or 255 seconds which is the maximum hold time.

After reading your post, I held on a system for what is now six minutes (360 seconds).

??

b52hbuff

GTO_04 said:
Machine gunning on digital systems. If that issue could be addressed, I would have few complaints about the 396. There are still some EDACS beeps if the transmission occurs after a digital transmission, but it is much less frequent after the firmware upgrade.

GTO_04
I used to have that problem on the San Mateo (California) P16 system. I'm running 1.11.03 and it has appeared to pretty much fix the issue.

I would ask folks to keep the thread focused on the 'bugs' aspects of the firmware. We can address the list of firmware enhancements later. Clearly the most obvious target is to import those features from the 996T that would be implementable on the 396...

chewie327

wjf said:
After reading your post, I held on a system for what is now six minutes (360 seconds).

??

On a 396? How? If I try to enter 360 for hold time it says "out of range set max? (y/n)"
If I answer Y it automaticaly enters 255.

wjf

chewie327 said:
On a 396? How? If I try to enter 360 for hold time it says "out of range set max? (y/n)"
If I answer Y it automaticaly enters 255.

My mistake. I thought you meant "holding" on a channel, vs setting the hold time.

Two different functions using the same nomenclature.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
wjf said:
Two different functions using the same nomenclature.

It's completely different nomenclature... A system is a group of channels / trunked frequencies, a channel is an individual channel. You did not hold on a SYSTEM, you held on a CHANNEL.

TedTed

- negative delay is missing (996/15 all have the same problem)
- systems order in 'Program System' is wrong

rdale

Premium Subscriber
1) It's not a bug
2) No, it's in order of quickkey.

TedTed

rdale said:
1) It's not a bug
2) No, it's in order of quickkey.

1) So? OP asked 'feature requests'
2) Order of quickkey is 0,1,2,3.. but systems assigned to quickkey 1 show up first

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Quickkeys start with 1 and go to 0 (look at the display)

wolter

The problem is that Uniden chose the system quick key as the sorting key for the 396's database. If SQKs are ever removed, the system is placed at the end. Do this with several systems, and pretty soon the system order is total chaos. Good luck finding these in the list where SQKs keys have been removed.

This problem would be solved if they sorted by system name instead.

TedTed

rdale said:
Quickkeys start with 1 and go to 0 (look at the display)

That makes no sense at all, according to the manual Quickkeys are 0 to 99.
Not 1 to 9, 0, 11 to 19, 10-, Uniden does not know how to sort numbers.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I didn't say it makes sense, I said that's how it is done. Look on your display - it starts with 1 and ends with 0.

slicerwizard

Still waiting for this firmware bug to be fixed:

If the AC power drops for five seconds (which happens a lot around here as they fight a losing battle to maintain our 30 year old lines), the firmware ignores the fact that the battery voltage is over four volts (e.g. fully charged) and starts a full 14 hour charge cycle.

wyldman

slicerwizard said:
Still waiting for this firmware bug to be fixed:

If the AC power drops for five seconds (which happens a lot around here as they fight a losing battle to maintain our 30 year old lines), the firmware ignores the fact that the battery voltage is over four volts (e.g. fully charged) and starts a full 14 hour charge cycle.

Yes,this sucks.

I constantly have my radios in and out of the house\car,and always plug them in to save on batteries,and keep them topped up.You'll fry the batteries in short order like this,as the charge cycle is too long.

Either disable charging unless the batteries are almost dead,or even better,add a better charging circuit to control the charging.If the batteries are low,they get a full charge.If they are only a bit low,they just get topped off.

b52hbuff

wolter said:
The problem is that Uniden chose the system quick key as the sorting key for the 396's database. If SQKs are ever removed, the system is placed at the end. Do this with several systems, and pretty soon the system order is total chaos. Good luck finding these in the list where SQKs keys have been removed.

This problem would be solved if they sorted by system name instead.

Just curious why you're adding/removing SQKs in the radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.