uniden 396 & Unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulio

Premium Subscriber
Can you use UNITRUNKER program without a D-Tap ? If so do you use a audio cable with the sound card or do you just use the usb data cable? If the uniden 396 is not able to use Unitrunker what is the best radio to use? I just want to explore more into this trunking and P25 Digital stuff. Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, you can with the BCD396XT, but not with the BCD396T.

Yep. I run both Unitrunker and Trunk88 daily with both my 396XT and my 996XT. However, you do need a discriminator tap if you want to use those same programs with a 396t or 996t.
Marshall KE4ZNR

hulio

Premium Subscriber
I have both 396t and 996t, where can i find tap info for those radios. I find stuff for older model stuff.

hulio

Premium Subscriber
what is the difference with a discriminator tap verse a data slicer. do you need a data slice after you install the data trap inside the radio?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
what is the difference with a discriminator tap verse a data slicer. do you need a data slice after you install the data trap inside the radio?

A data slicer connects to the desc. tap. Use a four poll data slicer for the faster data speeds.

hulio

Premium Subscriber
thanks for all the input,,, still getting conflicting info. this total new stuff for me. so please forgive me for asking stupid questions. After taking the 396 apart i think twice about putting a tap in that little thing. the 996 is perfect. i am still researching so please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.