Uniden 396 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnyrunions

I just purchased a uniden 396 xt. I have not used a scanner in many years and wow how they have changed. I knew what I wanted in a scanner just didn't realize how advanced they have come. Programming I'm Finding is near impossible. The user annual not user friendly. I'm about to just put it up on ebay if I can't figure it out. Is there anyway to just enter the frequency manually and able to save and scan them all?

wtp

hi

ok the old days of radio are mostly gone
the old way is called conventional
that is one frequency for transmit and receive
there are some around like ham, business, some public safety, noaa weather

your county and town are trunked
that is the message could change frequency with every transmit
if you want, i could send step by step for setting up a system

oh the other thing banks are now called systems
and in trunking, groups are what they sound like, 48 is your town pd dispatch and 848 is the town fire dispatch. ok send more questions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a uniden 396 xt. I have not used a scanner in many years and wow how they have changed. I knew what I wanted in a scanner just didn't realize how advanced they have come. Programming I'm Finding is near impossible. The user annual not user friendly. I'm about to just put it up on ebay if I can't figure it out. Is there anyway to just enter the frequency manually and able to save and scan them all?
Besides the Easier to Read manual already linked above, see: Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You're in eastern Denton County, it appears. From where you are, besides the Denton County system, you should also be able to hear the Denton (city) system, probably Collin County, Frisco, and Plano systems, as well as conventional channels used in Cooke & Grayson County and by Texas DPS.

By far, the easiest way to program the scanner is by using software. Not only is it much quicker to input the information, you can also see virtually all of it at the same time, making it easier to spot simple errors and omissions, than trying to go through multiple layers of screens on the scanner itself, one at a time. The cab,e that comes with the scanner requires a serial port. If your pc does not have that, then see Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki. FreeSCAN (linked by rhaasjr above) can easily program your radio. That's what I use for my 396XT's.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
As the others have said, the easier to read manual is very helpful. Also, become a premium member of Radio reference! get the freescan software the radio will practically program itself.

teufler

here is a file for denton cty and surrounding areas. it is a Freescan 2.16a file. I don't know if you have a computer or not. if its an older one with a serial port, use the cable that came with the scanner, plug into to the serial port and the side of the radio. set ip so your cable is recognized by the computer. You have to mAtch the serial port and baud rate. load the file to your scanner and you should hear. If you don't have a serial port, there are two ways to handle. you can order a usb to radio cable, or you can get a usb to serial adapter. There are serval brands that work. I use a Tripp Lite U209-000-R .They are sold from several sites on the internet. Like several have said, computer programming is far easier than doing it by hand. I know the radio is frustrating in that all the facts abouts scanners you have learned in the past, most do not apply now. Older scanners were from 200 to , if you were really exotic, 1000 frequencies. The 396xt can hold 25,000. We were limited to 10 banks, usually one trunking system per bank. We can now have up to 500 , individual frequencies can be entered and stored if you want but where you are at in Texas, they are expanded communications needs and trunking is where they are at. Any questions, do not hesitate to ask here in RadioReference, because we have all had to learn. We all had questions. About 3 weeks, you get the hang of the scanner but 6 months later, you will read something and the light will go off. I'm sure, wher you are at in Texas, there are others who have the scanner and maybe you can get together for some radio scanning chats.

Attachments

• denton cty.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 16

gadgeteck

It does seem impossible at first but stick with it. I have the br330t and it's basically the same programming. if you use software it's even easier. If you can't overcome that unit I would advise you NOT to go with the Uniden BCD436hp. I just bought that unit. I love it but boy oh boy is it time consuming to figure out. I will master it though! Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.