Uniden 396T and Intermod/Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmicha

I’m getting what I have always heard referred to as “intermod”, an interference from something that is locking up my Uniden 396T. I’m using it around my computer so I suspect that may be the problem. I have a wireless keyboard, a Netgear router, and a Roadrunner Motorola modem, all in the same area. The frequencies involved are all VHF-Hi (EMA, etc.) No problems on 800mhz. I’m using the standard antenna that came with the radio. Any ideas from anyone on how I can continue to use my radio where I am, near the computer.
Thanks.
Ron

Gatorman

Computers and their associated accessories are nasty noise generators. Scanners usually have very broad receivers. The more sensitive they are, the worse the problem becomes. I have the same issue and I imagine the only way to fix it with a portable radio is to move the radio. Basically, your computer stuff is radiating.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've seen several reports that Linksys wireless routers put out quit a bit of interference in the 140-160 MHz area.

ButchGone

Re:

I strongly concur! My DSL modem puts out spurious signals all over the 150MHZ band. I have found that adjusting the position of the radio helps. Also using PL tones helps some too. An outdoor antenna with good coax like LMR-400 keeps the crud out on my amateur radios...keeps the "recieve point" away from indoor noise sources. The more wirless stuff you use the more the airwaves get polluted.
BG..

Status
Not open for further replies.