Uniden 396T Rotary Knob Replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewie27

I just ordered a new rotary knob for my 396T which was skipping and not sticking to the channels I selected. Anyone know exactly how to replace it at home? I don't want to pay Uniden $60 to repair it, the part was only $10. I'm not sure how to remove the old one.

FDNY10-75

Database Admin
While were on the topic - Is $60 the flat rate to get any scanner repaired there or does it start at $60 and go up?

Thanks

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered a new rotary knob for my 396T which was skipping and not sticking to the channels I selected. Anyone know exactly how to replace it at home? I don't want to pay Uniden $60 to repair it, the part was only $10. I'm not sure how to remove the old one.

At first I was wondering where you bought it from. I checked Uniden's site about a month ago and it was out of stock and I added myself to the waiting list. They never notified me it was back in stock. I just ordered one. In looking for it somewhere else, I found out that the Alinco DX-3 uses the same VFO Encoder except the shaft is smaller. I ordered the encoder and it is exactly the same not knowing the shaft is smaller. I was going to order the knob for the DX-3 but hadn't gotten around to calling the repair facility...ready for who it is?

GRE. :)

You will need to dismantle the case and separate the 2 boards inside. Then, you will need to desolder about 5 contacts. Reverse for installing the new one. You may want to find someone that is able to solder without destroying the radio.

Check this out: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/110458-bcd396t-control-knob-hack-3.html

Last edited:

jewie27

Uniden charges $60 to repair it. the part is about $10. I do have a a sodering iron but i'm no electronics expert and will go look for someone to do it. The case looks like a pain to disassmble, seems like its made of multiple pieces not just two halves. wonder if there are any video tutorials on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.