uniden 396t

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

I have a uniden 396t hand held . The guy the sold it didn't explain it very much.

I have the OPP and the fire dept in our local area programmed in it but can't get into it.

Can anyone tell me how to do it .

mciupa

confused said:
I have a uniden 396t hand held . The guy the sold it didn't explain it very much.

I have the OPP and the fire dept in our local area programmed in it but can't get into it.

Can anyone tell me how to do it .

Oh boy ... this is gonna be like pulling teeth .:(

First of all , is it set up for ID SCAN , with talkgroups programmed ?
When you hit the SCAN button , does everything come to a stop ?
How about when you do ID SEARCH ? ... anything ?

What are you seeing on the display screen ?
.. for the OPP, do you see a little M

You might have to elaborate more on what is/isn't happening. :confused:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
There is a sticky on this webpage on how to program a 396.
It takes getting used to dynamic memory but I found that downloading files with arc software (I guess you can use Unidens also but i am not familiar with it anymore) files from various websites helps.
This allows you to see how systems are set up, what the base offset are, etc.
Once I saw how the specs are working I was able to poke around & make changes then learn more.

And if you want to get rid of your 396t at a good price I'll trade ya my 296 plus cash, lol.

rmv221

Confused......I recently bought a 396T too! I will take awhile to program the unit by the keypad after reading, reading and reading the manual...... You will learn how to do it.
If you want to make life easier in programing it, the best is to buy the ARC396 software and program it on your compurter. It will be a lot easier on you especially when you have bank, and banks of frequencies in it!

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
rmv221 said:
Confused......I recently bought a 396T too! I will take awhile to program the unit by the keypad after reading, reading and reading the manual...... You will learn how to do it.
If you want to make life easier in programing it, the best is to buy the ARC396 software and program it on your compurter. It will be a lot easier on you especially when you have bank, and banks of frequencies in it!

I agree 110% ARC396 basic is the way to go.. If you need files let me know i can setup files for you if your still having problems....

slicerwizard

IMO, the best way to resolve this would be:

1) get the OP to tell us where he lives and what he wants to monitor

2) have him to download the ARC396 demo

3) send him premade files (someone will have what he wants)

4) get him to upload them to his scanner

5) there is no 5

Better than pulling teeth.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Although the software is available and very easy to program with, I would strongly urge anyone that has these new marvels to learn to play and program from the keypad as well.

DaveH

tonsoffun said:
Although the software is available and very easy to program with, I would strongly urge anyone that has these new marvels to learn to play and program from the keypad as well.

Agreed...the software may be very nice, but it's only a matter of time before
you don't have your computer (especially away from home, even if it's a
laptop), a file gets corrupted, or other related scenario.

Dave

rmv221

I agree that you should know how to program the unit by the keypad (just in case), but after getting the software, I think it helped me how to use and understand programming utilizing the keypad too!

Status
Not open for further replies.