Uniden 396xt/996xt Starter Freescan Files NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8x

my freescan CLT area and beyond

quick keys 20-28 are viper.. divided up to get almost entire system loaded in there. keys 10,11, 12 are Virginia, West Virginia. 6,16 are SC palmetto 800....play with it.....

Dennis

quicks keys for VIPER SHP correspond to the viper site zone which is on the database

21 SHP zone 1 sites
22 SHP zone 2 sites
23 SHP zone 3 sites
24 SHP zone 4 sites

25 Viper west
26 Viper central
27 Viper east

20 Viper SHP clt listening area
28 Viper groups clt listening area

any other questions i will be glad to help explain. maybe i can get some better programming ideas from you guys after examing my layout...I am new to this new 996xt but so far I am loving it....nice to load this much stuff into the 25000 memory slots all at one time...I couldn't do this much programming into my GRE 600...not at one time anyway...I would have to use several v folders....

Attachments

• Home.zip
    74.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
quick keys 20-28 are viper.. divided up to get almost entire system loaded in there. keys 10,11, 12 are Virginia, West Virginia. 6,16 are SC palmetto 800....play with it.....

Dennis

Thanks for the contribution Dennis!
Marshall KE4ZNR

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Marshall, it has been a while but I finally have my BCD996XT on the way. I hope it improves my listening over the BCD996T I have today. Anyway, you mentioned some time ago you had a FreeScan version for the 996XT. Should I just download the files you included here in this forum or since I have been ridding radioreference as a freeloader for a while now, should I get a paid subscription and download something from the "paid site". You are always the greatest help source. Thanks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall, it has been a while but I finally have my BCD996XT on the way. I hope it improves my listening over the BCD996T I have today. Anyway, you mentioned some time ago you had a FreeScan version for the 996XT. Should I just download the files you included here in this forum or since I have been ridding radioreference as a freeloader for a while now, should I get a paid subscription and download something from the "paid site". You are always the greatest help source. Thanks.

Up to you Brian on supporting the site but with Freescan and the above files you should be rockin' and rollin' in no time flat for the Entire Central NC area.
Of course you will probably want to tweak it a little but you will find most of the programming is nicely organized. Example: hear a structure fire dispatched out on Wake PS TAC 22? From scan mode Enter: Hold+99.22+Menu and you are now sitting on PS TAC 22. same for any other PS TAC Channel 13-39: Just hit Hold+99.PS TAC Ch #+Menu.
Same idea for the 15 TriComm talkgroups spread across the Wake, Durham & Cary systems except the System Tag Number is 40. So Hold+40.4+Menu takes you to Mutual Aid 4 on Wake County VIPER. Hold+40.12+Menu takes you to Mutual Aid 12 on Cary.
You know where to find me if you have questions :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Done Deal;

Marshall, my 396XT and 996XT arrived and I downloaded your starter files and uploaded them to the scanners. I am working to understand your set up but love it already. Thanks again.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall, my 396XT and 996XT arrived and I downloaded your starter files and uploaded them to the scanners. I am working to understand your set up but love it already. Thanks again.

All good Brian. :)
I am sure once you get used to the layout of Unidens Dynamic Memory
structure you will want to customize my files to better suit your personal
preferences. Don't hesitate to drop me a PM/Email if you get stumped on
anything.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Marshall, thanks again. I am getting familiar with your 996XT set up. I do have a question for you.

On the display there often is a line on the screen " UID i46121 (or similar) " right below the ID line. Looking through all the documentation, I can't find an explanation. It is likely a simple command to change the screen, but I don't know and don't know what the UID means. Can you help please?

B

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall, thanks again. I am getting familiar with your 996XT set up. I do have a question for you.

On the display there often is a line on the screen " UID i46121 (or similar) " right below the ID line. Looking through all the documentation, I can't find an explanation. It is likely a simple command to change the screen, but I don't know and don't know what the UID means. Can you help please?

B

That would be the Radio ID (RID) or as Uniden calls it the Unit ID or (UID).

It was feature added to the most recent firmware updates for the
XT line of radios.

More info:

Using the Unit ID Feature

The Unit ID (UID) feature lets you see the unit ID of the radio currently transmitting on Motorola, EDACS, and APCO P25 systems. To see the Unit ID, you need to first turn on the global Unit ID option in the Settings menu.

1. Press MENU.
  2. Scroll to SETTINGS and press E/yes.
  3. Scroll to Disp. Unit ID and press E/yes.
  4. Scroll to On and press E/yes.
When turned on, in Display Modes 1 and 2 the scanner will alternate the current channel information and the Unit ID information in Line 2 of the display. In Display Mode 3, the scanner will display the Unit ID information on Line 3 of the display.
If you program a Unit ID into a channel, you can assign an Alpha to the Unit ID. You program a Unit ID just like an iCall ID (press ./no then the Unit ID).
Notes:

• In some cases where you catch a transmission already in progress you will not see the Unit ID.
  • In some cases where a second party responds to a transmission before the channel is released, you will not see the second party's Unit ID and will continue to see the first party's Unit ID.

Think about it like "Caller ID" for Two Way Radio Systems.

A tip: if you are listening to Raleigh PD and see "i36xxx" that is a
Raleigh PD Handheld Radio but if you see "i37xxx" then that is an RPD
Mobile Radio.

Marshall KE4ZNR

N9WA

Premium Subscriber
Finally got myself a 396xt, so I can use this awesome resource! Any updates to your incredible piece of work Marshall?

Sorry I missed you at the RARSfest

David

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Finally got myself a 396xt, so I can use this awesome resource! Any updates to your incredible piece of work Marshall?

Sorry I missed you at the RARSfest

David

Hey David,
Thanks for the kind words. I will try to put together an updated
starter file before the end of this next weekend. Not too much as
changed since the last Freescan file was put together but I will
still try to put up an updated file.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

jebemt

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out a few things with programming my scanner. it is a uniden digital 396xt. I have tried to program Charlotte in it and also the viper stuff, but honestly it confuses me so bad i gave up on the viper stuff. I cant figure out how to program the frequencies and options. technology... haha. All I want to do is have a bank for each divisions of CMPD, CFD, MEDIC, SWAT, and the other fun stuff... but only have 9 "banks" (quick buttons) that I can set. No clue how to turn on or off the other ones. And viper, OMG I have no clue on that. If anyone can help me out, I can help you out... I remodel houses haha ;)

KM4WLV

FreeSCAN file for Rowan and surrounding

It's been a while since anything has been posted in here. I wanted to post a FreeScan file I built for my 396. While it may not make sense to some it does to me :D

It pretty well covers everything for Rowan and surrounding areas/counties. It is still a build in progress and as I continue to update it I'll post updated versions here. This should be more than plenty to get someone going. If you use it feel free to modify it to your hearts content and make it your own. If you have any questions please let me know.
It has Rowan/Salisbury, Cabarrus/Concord, the new Charlotte P25 system, Winston Salem, and of course VIPER. VIPER is broken down as follows : Eastern, Western, Piedmont East and Piedmont West, just as it is in the database with the tower sites assigned accordingly. Certain SHP TG's are only assigned to certain VIPER "zones", but then certain agencies (especially federal stuff is in all 4), etc. It may sound confusing but just have a look. There is also a system started for conventional stuff as well.

Hope someone can use this !!!!
View attachment 396XT Rowan and Surrounding.zip

***Also Marshall do you think this would be worth giving a sticky to? We might be able to revive this. I'm also willing to throw together some FreeSCAN files for folks that would like if you are having trouble with it as well as help with troubleshooting programming issues.***

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.