Uniden 396XT and Racom Multi Site ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaBrian

Is there anyone out there that has a 396xt and can tell me if this plays nice with multi sites and also with Freescan combining groups to stay at the 20 max?

I know the book says that it should work but anyone out there that can say for sure that it works.

Would love to have multi sites loaded and not have to load all the groups to single site like I do now with the GRE.

Since I go between CR and Waterloo it would be nice to just have the option to open up a "bank" and have the sites from CR to Waterloo all loaded so I don't have to mess with switching. I do have a gps but I still like to have control if needed.

I posted this here because I need to know if it works here and not on another system in another state.

Thanks

Brian

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Racom

I listen to RACOM on my 396T, but I don't have the multi-site capability of the XT. I scan the sites separately and only include a few local TGs with each.

I recently got a tour of the Mercy helicopter. The pilot was surprised to find that I knew more about his radio network than he did! :)

-Tim (Sioux CIty)

Is there anyone out there that has a 396xt and can tell me if this plays nice with multi sites and also with Freescan combining groups to stay at the 20 max?

I know the book says that it should work but anyone out there that can say for sure that it works.

Would love to have multi sites loaded and not have to load all the groups to single site like I do now with the GRE.

Since I go between CR and Waterloo it would be nice to just have the option to open up a "bank" and have the sites from CR to Waterloo all loaded so I don't have to mess with switching. I do have a gps but I still like to have control if needed.

I posted this here because I need to know if it works here and not on another system in another state.

Thanks

Brian

IowaBrian

It is cool to see the copters, I hope they have a fly in to the local Hy Vee like last year, the little one was just a little too little last year but this year she would love to see it. Our copters are dispatched on county fire and watched over by local ambulance company, but I still listen to all of the copters dispatched by LifeCom since Aircare 1 and Aircare 2 are the ones the I listened to for years.

SCPD

QRT
The XTs work great on RACOM. The multi site system for the scanner is very handy with this system. You can program a different quick key for each site or multiple sites with the same quick key.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Do the XT's do polling to find the site with the strongest signal or does it just scan all sites, regardless of signal strength?

timkilbride

Database Admin
Do the XT's do polling to find the site with the strongest signal or does it just scan all sites, regardless of signal strength?

If they are suppose to, my 996xt isn't working right ;)

To ensure proper RACOM coverage with my scanner, all sites overlap so depending where I'm at, I have to hear up to 3 towers, which takes up precious scanning time. All my sites are GPSed.

Tim K.

IowaBrian

Got mine Friday, been playing with it ever since ;)

I will have to figure out the memory tricks but that part of the scanner is great. Multisite on RACOM is very nice!

The audio on P25 is maybe a 5 out of 10 with the two GRE units that I have being 9 out of 10. If you didn't have a GRE to measure it against on the system that I listen to you would be happy with the 396.

The scan speed on the 396 is a lot faster. I will have to do a little more testing but it seems to scan very quick.

I will be happy once I figure out how to work the buttons and figure out the DMA. But it is scanning and I like the smaller size. I can't say I trust it to use in the severe weather season as this is so much different from what I have used in the past. I like the KISS idea. Heck I still have old 30 channel scanners to do nothing but worry about local EMA the old scanners are easy to program on the fly for the old channels that most still use. I don't want to be messing around trying to lock out or add things when crap hits the fan. Also the old scanners or the ones that I have, seem to pick up the distant channels better then the 396xt as I have it set up now, that could change as I figure it out. I use the NWS as my test for distant channels, on the GRE units I can pick up 3 or 4 NWS stations with my roof antenna. With the 396 I can only get the local, now that could be how it is set up and how it is programmed to search and scan. I know that is only one small area of one band but it my test :)

This will be my #1 Scanner when all is learned and I have it programmed to my liking.

I can see getting a desk top version to go with the other scanners in the man cave just because of the DMA memory and the ability to have so much programmed without having to reprogram.

Just my $.02
Brian

timkilbride

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

IowaBrian said:
Got mine Friday, been playing with it ever since ;)

I will have to figure out the memory tricks but that part of the scanner is great. Multisite on RACOM is very nice!

The audio on P25 is maybe a 5 out of 10 with the two GRE units that I have being 9 out of 10. If you didn't have a GRE to measure it against on the system that I listen to you would be happy with the 396.

The scan speed on the 396 is a lot faster. I will have to do a little more testing but it seems to scan very quick.

I will be happy once I figure out how to work the buttons and figure out the DMA. But it is scanning and I like the smaller size. I can't say I trust it to use in the severe weather season as this is so much different from what I have used in the past. I like the KISS idea. Heck I still have old 30 channel scanners to do nothing but worry about local EMA the old scanners are easy to program on the fly for the old channels that most still use. I don't want to be messing around trying to lock out or add things when crap hits the fan. Also the old scanners or the ones that I have, seem to pick up the distant channels better then the 396xt as I have it set up now, that could change as I figure it out. I use the NWS as my test for distant channels, on the GRE units I can pick up 3 or 4 NWS stations with my roof antenna. With the 396 I can only get the local, now that could be how it is set up and how it is programmed to search and scan. I know that is only one small area of one band but it my test :)

This will be my #1 Scanner when all is learned and I have it programmed to my liking.

I can see getting a desk top version to go with the other scanners in the man cave just because of the DMA memory and the ability to have so much programmed without having to reprogram.

Just my $.02
Brian

Do the fireware upgrade so you can see the unit ID's(mobile radios). You can then set it up to only hear the dispatcher and not the units, or only certain units.

Tim K.

Status
Not open for further replies.