Uniden 396xt work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallen444

I am coming to san diego and wanting to know will my scanner work ? and if on the old system or what ? so i can program it

SDBud

I am coming to san diego and wanting to know will my scanner work ? and if on the old system or what ? so i can program it

Yes, the 396 will work fine for the City system (800mhz AND the 700mhz), but not any of the County systems, which are all P2 now.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Not totally true about the RCS. As long as the TG you want to monitor on the RCS is using P25, you will hear it. If they use P2, then you will not be able to hear the traffic with that model of radio. At this time, most are still using p25 until they upgrade user radios.

N6ML

Not totally true about the RCS. As long as the TG you want to monitor on the RCS is using P25, you will hear it. If they use P2, then you will not be able to hear the traffic with that model of radio. At this time, most are still using p25 until they upgrade user radios.

I think you're trying to say that most are still using *P25 Phase 1*. Phase 2 is still P25!

celbaseman

Feed Provider
P25 is different than TDMA time slots 1 and 2. The 396xt is be able to monitor P25 but not time slotted transmissions.

For instance, Vista schools and Poway schools, all of the radio equipment they have is TDMA compatible therefore they will always use a channel with a time slot.

As I recall, the RCS knows if radios are TDMA compatible on a talk group and if they are, then a timeslot and channel are assigned. But if one radio is not compatible with TDMA then the system defaults to P25.

N6ML

You're sortof correct, but your terminology is off. P25 Phase 1 is FDMA only. P25 Phase 2 introduces TDMA support (where two messages may be sent on a single channel, each in a separate timeslot), with some backwards compatibility (to support FDMA-only radios). It's all P25.

Mike_G_D

You're sortof correct, but your terminology is off. P25 Phase 1 is FDMA only. P25 Phase 2 introduces TDMA support (where two messages may be sent on a single channel, each in a separate timeslot), with some backwards compatibility (to support FDMA-only radios). It's all P25.
This is absolutely correct.

P25 Phase 1 --> FDMA

P25 Phase 2 --> TDMA

But both are "P25".

Systems can be P25 P1 only, P2 only, or a mixture of both like the RCS in SD County.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
For the City of San DIego 700MHz Phase 1 system, the XT scanners are barely able to receive the system, and in many many places, such as near my TV station, they will not even be able to lock onto the control channel with maximum signal.

As for the RCS, they are NOT fully Phase 2 yet. Right now, for public safety, only Escondido FD is fully Phase 2 (unless an outside mutual older model radio comes up for a call), with blips of Phase 2 on Sheriffs tacticals at 2AM and maybe like the Medical Examiner.

I have found the XT's prefer the 800MHz RCS to the 700MHz SD City system, probably because 700 has so much more 4G LTE interference.

Paul

pallen444

Can someone tell me when programming my 396xt cant put in the 5 in 700mhz do i need to ?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Can't on my Whistlers either...doesn't really matter, it rounds off, the VCO can't lock that tight anyways. CC shows 771.48120 on my WS1098's.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.