Status
Not open for further replies.

cinsu

Portland-yes

Oregon statewide system-no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
396xt is p1 only not p2. i have two of them. great little scanner. why i have two of them. if u need p2, i suggest the 436hp. by far the favorite scanner i have ever owned.

uncledenny48

Thank You for your reply for now I decided to get the 396xt, I have a couple of programming questions, I'm pretty savvy in getting it programmed, as far as the band plan do I need to program anything in there, I left it blank but it seems that everything is not coming thru it does cut off some transmissions. These are fair;y easy to program manually, just a couple of items I have questions on. any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

uncledenny48

Thank You, also I have a couple of programing questions I have manually programmed for Multnomah county, do I program all the blue and red freq listed? and do I need to do anything on the band plan portion of the scanner, I didn't program anything. It seems to cut out on some transmissions and the "dat" comes up on the 700 freq??? any help would be appreciated.

kma371

QRT
Program only the red and blue.

As stated before, your scanner will not work on the state wide system. (700mhz freqs)

Baker845

the 396xt won't work on the Portland system. I think right now Portland system is Phase 1, but will be upgraded to phase 2, which wont effect units on the system. Just will effect those with Phase 1 only scanners.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I agree, I would not bother using the 396XT to monitor the Portland/Multnomah County P25 system. Technically it can do it right now, because it is currently Phase I, but the 396 is older technology and does not handle the Linear Simulcast Modulation as well as newer radios like the 436 do. That said, even the 436 can have problems with it, depending on your location, antenna used, radio settings, etc. Your best bet with the 396 is to monitor the prior 800MHz analog system, which is still online. As far as I know all of the public safety traffic is still carried on the older system as well as the new system. The old system should remain functioning for some time come.

Portland Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

All you need are the red and blue frequencies for the 'Simulcast Backbone'. It's been a while since I've programmed a 396, but If there is a system setting for 'Control Channel Only', you should use it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is a great little scanner. If your local area still does Phase I, then you're all set. If you have any simulcast issues, just connect a Yagi antenna to the scanner and aim it to the closest repeater tower. Problem solved. No need to get the 436HP, but you will be future proofed though.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
agreed. i love the 396xt so much that i own two of them. sell you the one with the scratched face. it got scratched so i bought a 2nd one. still runs perfectly. love them both. but, my fav scanner of all the ones i own and have owned, which is many many, is the 436HP. if i had to buy just one scanner, that is the one i would buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.