Uniden 436/536HP clock problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The RTC in the x36HP scanners appears to be maintained by the main processor chip and a SMD style supercap when the power is switched off.

Supercaps cannot be fast charged, hence the requirement to leave scanner on for 2 days to fully charge.

The x36HP's RX63N/RX631,100Mhz RISC processor RTC, requires a relatively high 0.6 - 1mA to maintain the clock function, so it's not surprising that only 5-7 days of backup are available.

Thanks for that info. I'd just started a new thread asking if the battery was really a super cap but I think your info confirms that it is.
And 0.6 to 1mA is a lot for a simple RTC circuit.

I guess the life of modern day super cap may exceed that of a real battery cell so that fact may have been a good decision but I must agree on the use of such a high current RTC circuit being a bad choice. I have wristwatches that have teeny tiny button cell batteries that even have mechanical movements that can run nearly a year!

Any idea what the "full charge" voltage is at the super cap?

tkenny53

It would be much better if one could just bypass the clock and date setting when powered up. It is a handheld scanner, you want it to just work on power up and not have to set time and day. Mine sits in the car till I need it, off and only runs on the AA batteries. It is a PITA to have to fiddle with keystrokes just turn and set the time and date, before you need to scan for stuff. This should not be a probrlem to resolve, but not every scanner is perfect, but, here this could have been avoided by a little preplanning in the design phase.

JamesO

Never had a prompt to set the clock on my 436HP after the initial request.

I usually run the scanner on batteries, and also have it turned off for days at a time if I can carrying another scanner or out of scanning mode.

If anyone keeps getting clock prompts from their x36HP, make sure you keep it powered up and running for at least 3 days straight, then see if you keep getting prompts to set the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.