BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uniden 436 scanner Conventional Discovery (still does not work)

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Updated the Uniden 436 scanner and find out the Conventional Discovery still will not check a favorite list and ignore all frequencies in that favorites list and only log new frequencies. This has been broken for years and still they have not fixed this with the new update release.
Saint

Ubbe

It was many years ago it stopped working in all Unidens scanners, as the basic functionality and features in firmware are shared between Unidens top models and only minor changes needs to be done to different models. I loaded old firmwares and found the last working version and gave that info to @JoeBearcat 2-3 years ago. The only scanner that still works properly in discovery are my HP-1, as that has not got any updates since 12 years ago.

/Ubbe

Saint

Premium Subscriber
It was many years ago it stopped working in all Unidens scanners, as the basic functionality and features in firmware are shared between Unidens top models and only minor changes needs to be done to different models. I loaded old firmwares and found the last working version and gave that info to @JoeBearcat 2-3 years ago. The only scanner that still works properly in discovery are my HP-1, as that has not got any updates since 12 years ago.

/Ubbe
Thanks for the info, the discovery function was one of the reasons I bought this scanner all those years ago and I really thought they would fix it, but they must have better things to do.

sadave

I occasionally use the Discovery function on some conventional frequencies on my SDS100, SDS200, and 436HP but have always had to enter the frequency data on the keypad or create and load via Sentinel. I mostly use Discovery for the trunked systems in my area and generally use it every day. If I understand the OP correctly, once upon a time, a user could simply select a conventional frequency from an existing favorites list without having to manually enter it? That would be a handy feature.

Shep

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I occasionally use the Discovery function on some conventional frequencies on my SDS100, SDS200, and 436HP but have always had to enter the frequency data on the keypad or create and load via Sentinel. I mostly use Discovery for the trunked systems in my area and generally use it every day. If I understand the OP correctly, once upon a time, a user could simply select a conventional frequency from an existing favorites list without having to manually enter it? That would be a handy feature.

Shep
This is the way it should work, and it does not in the Conventional Discovery.

Discovery Mode
Trunking Discovery Mode allows you to monitor a trunked radio Site for channels not currently in the database.
It can automatically record audio and log newly discovered channels for later review and identification.
Conventional Discovery Mode lets you monitor a range of frequencies that are not already known to be in use in your area. This includes frequencies used conventionally as well as in trunked radio systems. It can automatically record audio and log newly discovered channels for later review and identification so that you can more easily identify the users.
Both modes allow you to listen while discovering, have the option to compare hits to the Database, and log all hits or just new hits.
You can create and save several sessions with different settings. You can also download sessions using the 'Discovery Log Viewer' in the Sentinel Software.

Every time you start a session you create a 'Run'. Review Discovery allows you to review the Run results, resume Runs, or restart saved Discovery Sessions.
If you use the Auto Store option, Discovery will create a new Favorites List called Trunking Discovery, or Conventional Discovery.
Each Session will create a new System, and each Run will create a new Department for IDs or frequencies found.
Before using this mode, set your location and location range, and enable the Database or Favorites Lists to use for Discovery.
New Session
Press Menu then scroll to Discovery and press E/yes.
Scroll to Trunking Discovery or Conventional Discovery and press E/yes.
Scroll to New Session and press E/yes.
Conventional Discovery
Input Session Name - Enter the Name and press E/yes. See Data Naming.
Trunking Discovery
Input System Name - Press E/yes to display enabled systems and scroll to system. Press E/yes to select.
Notes: To select the trunked system:
1. The trunked system must be enabled in 'Select Lists to Monitor',
2. The system/site QKs must be enabled for scan in 'Set Quick Key Status' (if assigned to one), and
3. The service types for channels in the system must be enabled.
Select Site - Scroll to the Site to use in the system and press E/yes.
Input Session Name
- Enter the Name and press E/yes. See Data Naming.
Session Options
Press Menu then scroll to Discovery and press E/yes.
Scroll to Trunking/Conventional Discovery and press E/yes.
Scroll to the Discovery Session and press E/yes.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
My HP2 has no problem with discovery. I use it often and this model seems to work.

sadave

The Discovery function of my 436 seems to be operating just fine on conventional frequencies and trunked systems. I have all the upgrades and the most current firmware updates. By following the instructions posted above, everything works according to the directions.

Shep

Saint

Premium Subscriber
The Discovery function of my 436 seems to be operating just fine on conventional frequencies and trunked systems. I have all the upgrades and the most current firmware updates. By following the instructions posted above, everything works according to the directions.

Shep
You're telling me that the 436 scanner Conventional Discovery will check a favorite's list that you turn on and check that favorites list and ignore all frequencies in that favorite list and only save and record new frequencies that it finds. ???
Saint

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber

Shep
But are you getting duplicates in your session? When it's supposed to be All New Only for the setting.

It works fine for me also for what I use it for, however I get duplicates, even when I have them locked out permanently.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
But are you getting duplicates in your session? When it's supposed to be All New Only for the setting.
As far as I can see for over 10 years it does not check the favorites list that I turn on to see what frequencies are in it. And it finds frequencies that are in the favorites list instead of ignoring those frequencies.
Saint

richardbritt

Database Admin
You both are in Ontario Canada. Maybe you should get together and compare set ups? Just an idea. Then please share with the rest of us the results. I am very interested myself.

Regards

Richard in Northeastern NC

Saint

Premium Subscriber
You both are in Ontario Canada. Maybe you should get together and compare set ups? Just an idea. Then please share with the rest of us the results. I am very interested myself.

Regards

I have followed the instruction for over 10 years in my #5 POST and it does not work. If someone can point out another way to fix this instead of following # 5 POST, please share that with everyone
Saint

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber

Regards

As I posted in a different thread, this past weekend I was at a busy racing event where I was able to do a conventional discovery session between 450-470 mhz. In that same department, I have other frequencies that are locked out and I do not need duplicates of with tones etc., while in session you are able to auto store. Great feature by the way. However in your sessions, it will still save duplicate frequencies found within your search criteria.

sadave

You're telling me that the 436 scanner Conventional Discovery will check a favorite's list that you turn on and check that favorites list and ignore all frequencies in that favorite list and only save and record new frequencies that it finds. ???
Saint
Ah, no, it does not do that. However, Conventional Discovery does work as described in the instructions by inputting upper and lower frequencies. I guess I do not see in the instructions where a user can select a Favorites List for the Discovery function. Sorry if I am missing something.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Ah, no, it does not do that. However, Conventional Discovery does work as described in the instructions by inputting upper and lower frequencies. I guess I do not see in the instructions where a user can select a Favorites List for the Discovery function. Sorry if I am missing something.
Both modes allow you to listen while discovering, have the option to compare hits to the Database, and log all hits or just new hits.
SaINT

sadave

SaINT
Ah, I took that to mean you can listen to what you are discovering; i.e, in trunking Discovery you can hear the talkgroup traffic on the site whereas in conventional Discovery you can hear the transmissions within the frequency range rather than also scanning your Favorites Lists. And, in fact, the user can listen to what is being discovered.

Ubbe

Discovery are supposed to ignore frequencies already known that are in the database and in your favorite lists and the frequencies you have already found during discovery. The only thing that still works are that it stops saving the recordings to the SD card after it have reach the max number you have set, but it will still stop on all frequencies previously found that you will have to listen to until the timer runs out that you have set, and during that forced monitoring time you are not doing any searching.

/Ubbe

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Discovery are supposed to ignore frequencies already known that are in the database and in your favorite lists and the frequencies you have already found during discovery. The only thing that still works are that it stops saving the recordings to the SD card after it have reach the max number you have set, but it will still stop on all frequencies previously found that you will have to listen to until the timer runs out that you have set, and during that forced monitoring time you are not doing any searching.

/Ubbe
Thank you I have been trying to make that clear. hopefully Uniden will fix this after all these years.

Saint