Uniden 436: Worth Switching To For Boston-Framingham Areas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

I guess every few years, I get in the mood to consider a new "toy".

Presently have a GRE PSR 500 which works quite well.

I'm no expert with the scanning hobby, but do enjoy listening very much.
Would be most appreciative for any and all opinions.

Regarding the new Uniden BCD 436 that just became available:

"- TrunkTracker V with support for APCO Project 25 Phase I and Phase II, X2-TDMA, Motorola,
EDACS, and LTR Trunked Radio Systems"

I can pick up with the GRE both Boston and the Framingham Mass areas fairly well.

My understanding is that there is presently no Project 25 Phase II in Boston or Framingham area,
and not likely to be any in the "near future."
Correct ?

If so, other than having easy access to the RR databases, and a Memory Card, are there any other advantages to this new Uniden unit vs the GRE unit that I now have ?

If so, what, please ? Am I missing anything in reading the specs ?

Personal call, of course, but worth getting the Uniden ? (would sell the GRE)

Thoughts on ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Do you WANT one of these new scanners, or do you NEED one? Tough call. I've done so many buys/sells with scanners that I recently stopped all the nonsense and have just what I want AND need now. Personally, I have no need for one of these scanners. Think about what your current scanner does and does it do what it's suppose to, then ask yourself if making the move to one of these is really justifiable? Tough call.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what the future holds for Massachusetts as for anything other then p25 phase 1, right now all you need is your psr500 gre.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
GRE

I think I would hold off on any new purchase. You already have a great scanner(GRE), hope you are using Win500 with it. The new Uniden sounds like a nice scanner, but being new I think there are a lot of bugs to be worked out of it. If you wait 6 months maybe there will be 1 good firmware update instead of maybe 5 or 6, and a cheaper price.

Hulca

I am from Mass and I am going to buy a new scanner.
I currently have a Uniden 396T which is old.

I am considering the 436 but after reading the forums, I think I should wait until the GRE is reissued under a new name (Whistler??).

Uniden or GRE (Whistler)???

Any advice?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
My $.02? Look for a used or new Uniden BCD396XT if you want a portable scanner. This will give you 100% of what you need. Couple this with Freescan software and a premium membership here at radioreference, and you are ready to go.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The Metro Boston 700 Overlay site on the State P25 system supports TDMA. There is an occasional TDMA transmission, but no regular traffic. I suspect the system has Dynamic Dual Mode, so it can use TDMA when no FDMA radios are affiliated on a talkgroup.

I have noticed better reception of the Cambridge site on the State P25 system with the 536HP compared to the HP1. I have not compared it to my PSR-600.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.