Uniden 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioPatriots

So it is two separate set ups where you still need to add an external antenna in addition to the GPS unit.

Stingray what part of this are you not getting?

Picture this:

You set the scanner in your car.

You screw on the regular scanner antenna that receives radio signals just as you normally would.

You then plug that mess of wires into your cigarette lighter outlet. Plug the data wire from that mess of wires into your scanner's data port, then throw the GPS puck in the window.

BANG! You're totally good to go.

The scanner antenna receives radio signals. The GPS antenna puck receives GPS signals. The scanner antenna does not receive GPS signals. The GPS puck antenna does not receive radio signals (the ones you'll be hearing).

Nothing more to it than that.

EDIT: If you WANT to use an external antenna in place of the "rubber duck" antenna, you can. In fact it's very advisable. But the scanner antenna and the GPS antenna are totally, completely separate things.

stingray327

Stingray what part of this are you not getting?

Picture this:

You set the scanner in your car.

You screw on the regular scanner antenna that receives radio signals just as you normally would.

You then plug that mess of wires into your cigarette lighter outlet. Plug the data wire from that mess of wires into your scanner's data port, then throw the GPS puck in the window.

BANG! You're totally good to go.

The scanner antenna receives radio signals. The GPS antenna puck receives GPS signals. The scanner antenna does not receive GPS signals. The GPS puck antenna does not receive radio signals (the ones you'll be hearing).

Nothing more to it than that.

EDIT: If you WANT to use an external antenna in place of the "rubber duck" antenna, you can. In fact it's very advisable. But the scanner antenna and the GPS antenna are totally, completely separate things.

Thanks

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Corvette Antenna

I see from some older threads you've been struggling with this question since Feb. 2009. Try this

Nagoya RB-CLP Antenna Window Clip Mount

Radio Shack used to sell a piece of coax with suction cups on it where you could stick it to the window and put your scanner antenna on the BNC connector and the other end on the radio. That could work too.

Thanks but my car is made of fiberglass so I am limited to a window mounted antenna.

RadioPatriots

Thanks but my car is made of fiberglass so I am limited to a window mounted antenna.

Here is another antenna I would recommend.

SpectrumForce Mini Window Antenna UHF/800 with SMA

No it won't have exactly the same performance as a totally external antenna, but for what it is, it does darn good and will work at least 3 times better than the stock "rubber duck" antenna. Not only that, it's low profile, it won't "screw up" the look of your car, and will leave no tell-tale signs to would-be thieves that you might have something expensive in there for the taking.

You see I used to own a C5 Corvette (until I sold it). I had to contend with similar issues, so I know what you're dealing with.

stingray327

I see from some older threads you've been struggling with this question since Feb. 2009. Try this

Nagoya RB-CLP Antenna Window Clip Mount

Radio Shack used to sell a piece of coax with suction cups on it where you could stick it to the window and put your scanner antenna on the BNC connector and the other end on the radio. That could work too.

Thanks for the info but my car has indexed windows so this would probably not work well. It would interfere with the operation of window.

stingray327

You might consider this for your Scanner Antenna:

LARSEN NMO-150/450/800 | 150/450/800MHZ NMO ANT

This very same company Ham Radio Outlet sells a tiny magnetic black antenna (Spectrum Force Mag Mount Scanner Master antenna 17" long and covers 25-1300MHz. It has a very small with a curl in it. I believe the price is $19.95. It comes in both versions of BNC or SMA connector.
Is this a good performing antenna?

What's the difference between the SMA and BNC connectors?
My old set up calls for the BNC connector. But when I get a new scanner like the 436 I believe that scanner is the SMA connector.

Is the SMA connector suppose to be better?
I know the BNC connector as it gets older tends to loosen up scanner antenna connection which really affects reception pretty bad.
I was thinking of trying this tiny magnetic black antenna on my other car which is metal as this antenna is less noticeable.

stingray327

Here is another antenna I would recommend.

SpectrumForce Mini Window Antenna UHF/800 with SMA

No it won't have exactly the same performance as a totally external antenna, but for what it is, it does darn good and will work at least 3 times better than the stock "rubber duck" antenna. Not only that, it's low profile, it won't "screw up" the look of your car, and will leave no tell-tale signs to would-be thieves that you might have something expensive in there for the taking.

You see I used to own a C5 Corvette (until I sold it). I had to contend with similar issues, so I know what you're dealing with.

Do you think it will outperform a wide band glass mounted antenna that I already have mounted on the glass hatch on C-6?
So far reception has been good with this set up. Also I listen to low band so that Mini Window Antenna is only for UHF/800? Too bad they don't have a 25 -1400 MHz wide band antenna but again this would interfere with the indexed windows. I guess it would be best to mount this antenna on inside windshield instead of side windows?

Attachments

• Spectrum Force Mag Mount Antenna.jpg
    Spectrum Force Mag Mount Antenna.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Tram antenna.jpg
    Tram antenna.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 345

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have two of the Spectrum Force magmounts, one in SMA for the car and one in BNC for the house (too lazy to get on the roof and erect a real base antenna). They are very good. The SMA model has developed a bad connection or broken wire near the end, which I think was because I was connecting and disconnecting radios twice a day (4 times total). If you hook something up and leave it alone, it should work well.

stingray327

I have two of the Spectrum Force magmounts, one in SMA for the car and one in BNC for the house (too lazy to get on the roof and erect a real base antenna). They are very good. The SMA model has developed a bad connection or broken wire near the end, which I think was because I was connecting and disconnecting radios twice a day (4 times total). If you hook something up and leave it alone, it should work well.

Yes it only makes sense that when installing and removing constantly between cars you are going to run into this problem. Currently I have two separate scanners for two different cars. When the time comes for me to get a 436 I don't know if I will have 2 of them (EXPENSIVE) unlike the inexpensive units that are now in analog and outdated.

RadioPatriots

Do you think it will outperform a wide band glass mounted antenna that I already have mounted on the glass hatch on C-6?
So far reception has been good with this set up. Also I listen to low band so that Mini Window Antenna is only for UHF/800? Too bad they don't have a 25 -1400 MHz wide band antenna but again this would interfere with the indexed windows. I guess it would be best to mount this antenna on inside windshield instead of side windows?

No, it will not work as well. The glass mount antenna is about one notch above the internal windshield mounted antenna. After all, the glass mount is external.

The performance of glass mount antennas primarily comes down to the quality of the "link" between the antenna and the internal "block." Glass mount antennas work on a principle called 'Capacitive Coupling' (or sometimes, Electrostatic Capacitive Coupling). Recall that a capacitive function is always frequency reactive (capacitive reactance), meaning that the distance between antenna and block can have a profound effect on the antenna's overall performance.

It's important to install these things correctly. Hopefully there is no window tinting as this can degrade performance, unless you want to cut a small square into it. And you also want to make sure you mount the block such that the coax coming out of it is either to the left or right (not top or bottom), and the alignment of antenna and block should be spot-on perfect. Although it's not rocket science, the importance of the quality of a glass mount installation can't be overstated.

stingray327

No, it will not work as well. The glass mount antenna is about one notch above the internal windshield mounted antenna. After all, the glass mount is external.

The performance of glass mount antennas primarily comes down to the quality of the "link" between the antenna and the internal "block." Glass mount antennas work on a principle called 'Capacitive Coupling' (or sometimes, Electrostatic Capacitive Coupling). Recall that a capacitive function is always frequency reactive (capacitive reactance), meaning that the distance between antenna and block can have a profound effect on the antenna's overall performance.

It's important to install these things correctly. Hopefully there is no window tinting as this can degrade performance, unless you want to cut a small square into it. And you also want to make sure you mount the block such that the coax coming out of it is either to the left or right (not top or bottom), and the alignment of antenna and block should be spot-on perfect. Although it's not rocket science, the importance of the quality of a glass mount installation can't be overstated.

Yes you are correct.
I have a Watson W881 super gainer handheld antenna that cost $40.00 and it doesn't outperform the window glass mounted antenna which picks up so much more signals. That glass antenna is mounted higher and outside of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.