Uniden 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray327

When using this handheld in a car I understand you can hook up a GPS antenna or it looks like a puk. One is made by Uniden and the other is made by Garmin. This is suppose to enable you to monitor as you move from city to city without having to put in a program. Now does this GPS unit replace the antenna that would usually be used a a mobil antenna or is this GPS puk in addition to the antenna?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396286703265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396286703265.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 735

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The cable for the GPS unit plugs into the same connector used by the programming cable.

Adding a GPS device to a scanner when traveling makes for a most interesting experience if you are in the scanning hobby.

A couple of suggestions should you do so:

An external antenna is beneficial - there's too much metal surrounding a passenger compartment to get a good signal in rural areas. On my portable scanner, I use a magnetic mount antenna having the SMA end so adapters are not needed.

Also an amplified speaker will help overcome road noise. With minimal effort you can put a cigarette lighter end on the power wire.

Lastly always check the legality of having a scanner in a vehicle. Many states outlaw them, with having an amateur radio license being an exemption to such laws.

stingray327

The cable for the GPS unit plugs into the same connector used by the programming cable.

Adding a GPS device to a scanner when traveling makes for a most interesting experience if you are in the scanning hobby.

An external antenna is beneficial - there's too much metal surrounding a passenger compartment to get a good signal in rural areas. On my portable scanner, I use a magnetic mount antenna having the SMA end so adapters are not needed.

Also an amplified speaker will help overcome road noise. With minimal effort you can put a cigarette lighter end on the power wire.

Lastly always check the legality of having a scanner in a vehicle. Many states outlaw them, with having an amateur radio license being an exemption to such laws.

The vehicle I have isn't made of metal so I am using a window glass antenna. On my other car I use a magnetic mount antenna. I already use a 2 speaker computer amplified speakers that have their own battery supply. Very loud. I don't know if they still sell these as I got them 10 years ago and they were used with home computers. Has a volume knob and one set of speakers uses AA batteries and the other set of computer speakers uses C batteries. Do they still sell these kinds of computer speakers because they work great on scanners?

Attachments

• 2005.jpg
    2005.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 610

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

I'll vouch for that.

Just recently installed the Uniden "puck" in my car to use with my HP-1. I've gone on a couple of road trips scanning via GPS and it is sweet. Just set what services you want to listen to and GPS does the rest. It's quite nice not having to change favorite lists depending where you're at on your trip, or fiddle with entering a new zip code.

I highly recommend hooking GPS to your scanner.

:)

RadioPatriots

Here's what will be going in your car. You'll also need the serial to USB adapter that came with the radio.

Attachments

• Uniden_GPS.jpg
    Uniden_GPS.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 570

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This is the Uniden GPS unit?
Also does that round piece have to be mounted outside the car or can it stay inside?

It's the antenna (and GPS chip, all-in-one), so a lot of people choose to put it outside. If it's like the Garmin version, the base of it is magnetic. However, I have operated for years with the Garmin version "mounted" inside my car (tucked in the lower right corner of the windshield) with no problems. In fact, for a while it commonly fell from that "mounting" position into the passenger footwell and still got a satisfactory GPS fix.

RadioPatriots

This is the Uniden GPS unit?
Also does that round piece have to be mounted outside the car or can it stay inside?

My suggestion would be to mount it inside the car. Somewhere on top of the dash, usually in a corner, is the most typical place. And if you're worried about someone seeing it or theft, it can always be mounted just under and inside the dash top, provided there are no metal/conductive objects above it that would obstruct a clear view to the sky.

When we're talking standard GPS applications, as we are here, that's all a GPS antenna really needs; a clear view to the sky. Glass, plastic and other non-conductive elements will have a negligible to non-existent affect on that view. Hence the reason you can put it on the dash, underneath the windshield.

RadioPatriots

If the state outlawed breathing in your car, unfortunately most people would comply.

What's that town again that still has a law on its books that says it's illegal to walk down mainstreet with an ice-cream cone in your back pocket?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
If the state outlawed breathing in your car, unfortunately most people would comply.

What's that town again that still has a law on its books that says it's illegal to walk down mainstreet with an ice-cream cone in your back pocket?

Not sure about the town, but the state is Alabama.

:D

stingray327

It's the antenna (and GPS chip, all-in-one), so a lot of people choose to put it outside. If it's like the Garmin version, the base of it is magnetic. However, I have operated for years with the Garmin version "mounted" inside my car (tucked in the lower right corner of the windshield) with no problems. In fact, for a while it commonly fell from that "mounting" position into the passenger footwell and still got a satisfactory GPS fix.

From what I understand the GPS unit is in addition to an external mobile antenna.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
From what I understand the GPS unit is in addition to an external mobile antenna.

So it is two separate set ups where you still need to add an external antenna in addition to the GPS unit.

The GPS unit and the antenna for the GPS unit are all together in the same housing. You still need a separate antenna for the signals that the scanner itself receives.

Sorry if I confused the matter earlier.

RadioPatriots

Not sure about the town, but the state is Alabama.

:D

I always thought it was somewhere in Kentucky but I may be mistaken. I guess the idea was that, a hundred years ago, you could use an ice-cream cone to easily lure a horse away from its stable, or anywhere else (horse rustling).

Status
Not open for further replies.