Uniden 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejanoclown17

I just started using my zip locator scanner and live near Houston but can not receive my area someone please advise me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just started using my zip locator scanner and live near Houston but can not receive my area someone please advise me.
Make sure that you update the database via Sentinel, then write the updated database to your scanner. The database version that is in the scanner when it ships is months, if not longer, out of date. You can see the date of the database in your scanner by pressing Menu (the bottom one of the rubberized keys on the left side of the scanner.
Then scroll to Manage Full database, and press E (enter) to select
Scroll to Information, then press E to select that.

The date of the database version in the scanner itself will be displayed. (Note that in Sentinel, the database version is displayed in the lower left corner of the Sentinel main window. Database updates are normally issued weekly, mid-morning or slightly later, on Monday of every week.

Many of the agencies in your area have finally made the transition from the old analog TxWARN system to the digital TxWARN P25 system. Your scanner can receive the P25 system, but must have the correct information to do so. Also be sure that you have the correct service types enabled. By default, the scanner ships with only the Dispatch service type enabled (Fire Dispatch, Law Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). Generally, you would also want the TAC and TALK service types enabled as well (Fire Tac, often used for fireground communications, and Law Talk for mobiles to communicate with each other, are examples).

Tejanoclown17

Sentinel

I did update it also with Sentinel last night. It is strange I get everything but the towns Im close to,. Do you think there system has changed to DMR?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes I think since Im so close to Houston it does not let me.

You can select the Service Types regardless of location. (Menu>Select Service Types and look at the list. Be sure that whatever Service Type you wish to hear says "On" at the far right. Pushing the Function button toggles them. Then press menu repeatedly to resum scanning.)

Next are you saying you want to hear something, but Houston is so active you cannot? If so, try adjusting the Range value up or down (press Rang and enter a number from 0.0 to 50.0) and see what happens.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I did update it also with Sentinel last night. It is strange I get everything but the towns Im close to,. Do you think there system has changed to DMR?
I suspect, since you are receiving Houston, but not your local area, that either your location did not register correctly, or you do not have the sites specific to your county being scanned. Either they are not loading due to a location error, or possibly they are incorrectly set as "avoid" (locked out).

Looking at your county in the database, I do not see any public safety currently using DMR. It's possible some are, but if so that information has not been submitted for database update. From what I've seen down in the Texas Forum, as well as on the HoustonScan Yahoo group, most everything should be on TxWARN P25.

Are you using a Favorites list, or just scanning by location & using the main database? If a Favorites list, try exporting it into an *.hpe file. Then upload that on a post. To do that, either change the extension on the file to 8.txt, or zip it with a file utility such as 7-Zip.

To change the name of your file so that it can be uploaded to RadioReference, you must change the file's extension. Let's say you have it named as Myfile.hpe. In Windows Explorer, <right><click> on the file and select 'rename'.
Now, either rename it to Myfile.txt, or add the txt extension, making it Myfile.hpe.txt. That way, it is a file type that you can upload on a post.

To get more area specific information, from members who might be near your, request that your thread be moved to the Texas Forum. To do that, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your first post, to "report this thread". You'll get a menu box where you can enter the request for the thread to be moved. Other Houston area members would be more likely to see it in the regional forum. I would also suggest that you get a bit more specific of your location, than simply Fort Bend County. City name would help in determining what you should be able to hear. And, of course, you can also join the HoustonScan group to get area specific suggestions.

Tejanoclown17

Response

It is frustrating that the zip code finder can not receive my area. I will take your advice thank you.

Tejanoclown17

Response

I was listening to some channels and a couple of channels seem like they were scrambled when they were talking is that DMR

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ZIP code location sets GPS coordinates to the middle of the ZIP code area, which may be miles from your actual location. Look up your actual location in Google Maps and put the coordinates into Sentinel.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
There are a few simple steps if you just want to start out scanning your local area. However, you are a real newbie to this, just as all of us once were. I've been doing this since 1972 and still get confused. I use only about 30% of the 436's capacity.

Search on line for a scanner club near you and make contact with them. Houston is a large area, and you should have no problems getting one-on-one help.

Do not do what some others do..throw it in a closet and say "screw it." You have a TOP of the line scanner, and you will enjoy it Sooo much.

Often in this hobby we must forge ahead and actively seek help; you'll find it there. Greg

Last edited:

Tejanoclown17

Response

If the communication is encrypted does DMR unscramble it or is there a way to get the transmission unscrambled the primary dispatch is not scrambled but the Tactical channels are for some reason

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

JohnOldridge

Setting up Services in Sentinel for 436HP

You have to have services checked in Sentinel in order to pick up your desired local agencies. Here's a link to help you with that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6dAVC8RdAI
I hope this helps and explains how your BCD436HP scanner works with the correct set up. Don't get frustrated like I did at first. Patience will be needed.....But once you learn the ins & outs of that scanner, you'll love it.
--John--

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Easy to look up.....

DMR - The RadioReference Wiki

EDACS Provoice - The RadioReference Wiki

With paid upgrades from Uniden, your BCD436HP can receive both DMR:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

And Provoice:

ProVoice < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

As mentioned previously, nothing encrypted can be monitored.

To add slightly to what fxdscon has already noted, you can locate users licensed for DMR by using the Digital Frequency Search site. However, just because an agency or company is licensed for DMR does not guarantee that DMR is being used. It only gives you some possibilities to look at, and see whether or not usage can be confirmed.

Here in the DFW Metro area, CareFlite, a regional medical helicopter and ground EMS agency, uses a DMR system for most of their communications. One local city, Highland Park, uses a DMR system as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.