• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 510/520?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is it just my dumb luck or does it seem that little Uniden 510 and 520 are better than the big Cobra GTL, etc.? Even with the.....AHEM!....insides played with, (and the guy that did it could probably take one apart and put it back together blindfolded, if you will), I've been told that people don't really hear me any better (range of about 10 miles if I recall) regardless of the antenna I used -anything from a little mag-mount to a K-40 or Wilson 1000. But when I had my 510 and 520 (I sizzled the 510 finals by not fully understanding how the power output screws in the back -or whatever they're called- work.) people tell me that even with the modulation turned up to 5 or 6 watts, I was being heard about 20+ miles away....walking over, or at least blending in, with people. Are those things better than they're made out to be for their size and cost?

JayMojave

Hello Steve Dogan:

I woild think not, as I haven't heard any thing talked about a 510/520 being a better radio on any of the forums. Testing at 10 to 20 miles is only a a 6 dB diference or one S-Unit ( and on most cb radios probably 3 to 4 dB per S-Unit) plus obsticals and the cureature of the earth.

When you ask for a radio check sometimes you get a bumch of differnt answers, so you have to watch this.

I suggest the Wilson 1000 be mounted in the center of the vehicle.

If the mobile radio is getting out at tem miles I'd say its ah hummin and ah buzzin.

Jay in the Mojave

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have a 510 and 520 and the stock modulation was great. However if u turned up the modulation and added a power mic it got out! Compared to my buddies Cobra 19, the Uniden beats it in modulation.

stevedogan

Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have a 510 and 520 and the stock modulation was great. However if u turned up the modulation and added a power mic it got out! Compared to my buddies Cobra 19, the Uniden beats it in modulation.

It just seems weird that a little, compact $30 or $40 radio could do better than a $150+ one with many more buttons and settings!
By the way, I forgot to mention....I didn't ever have a power mic. and it was doing this.

stevedogan said:

It just seems weird that a little, compact $30 or $40 radio could do better than a $150+ one with many more buttons and settings!
By the way, I forgot to mention....I didn't ever have a power mic. and it was doing this.

Yeah, before I modded the Uniden people thought that the stock modulation and stock mic was decent. If only they made a radio of that size SSB.....

stevedogan

Banned

Yeah, before I modded the Uniden people thought that the stock modulation and stock mic was decent. If only they made a radio of that size SSB.....

"modded up"? What'id you do to it? I was always told there really wasn't anything you could do with those given the "basic" style or "simplicity", if you will, of those -as opposed to GTL, etc.- I figured there ain't room enough inside a Uniden like that to weld anything else in.

stevedogan said:

"modded up"? What'id you do to it? I was always told there really wasn't anything you could do with those given the "basic" style or "simplicity", if you will, of those -as opposed to GTL, etc.- I figured there ain't room enough inside a Uniden like that to weld anything else in.

There was a YouTube link on how to improve modulation. I don't know if it's on there anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.