Uniden 785 D > What's it good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

I've got an older Uniden (BC 785D) scanner without the add-on card.

What is the usefulness of this scanner in Colorado?

Will it monitor the statewide DTRS if I add the card?

Would it be useful to someone here for just Denver and Aurora systems?

Or is it just a peperweight and I need to buy something new to use during travels around the state (outside metro Denver) ?

Thanks

opinions welcome

SCPD

QRT
If you can get the card and the TRS is 3600 Baud you can use it, but if it is 9600 it can't be used with the system. 3600 Systems have a mix of analog & digital.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Even without the card, it's still a fine choice for EDACS or LTR standard systems; and it's a very good milair scanner to boot. We have one member that has several of these going at the same time for that very purpose.

Keep in mind that trunking rebanded Motorola systems cannot be done with this scanner; it's firmware, unlike it's somewhat newer 796 cousin, cannot be upgraded.

73 Mike

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
And now a response from someone living in Colorado.

Will it monitor the statewide DTRS if I add the card?

It will not track DTRS with the card. It will decode the voice channels but does not recoginize the control channels. It will track the Federal 400 system which includes, for now, Buckley AFB. Check the DB for additional user info. It will also work on unencrypted conventional in the fed 16x band.

Would it be useful to someone here for just Denver and Aurora systems?
This radio currently works on EDACS systems used by DIA, Denver Public Works, Aurora and Westminster/Arvada. Also the United Airlines and Lockheed Martin type II analog company systems. Anything LTR and of course conventional.

This radio does NOT track ESK systems used by Denver and Lakewood. The possibility exists that current EDACS systems may elect to switch to ESK in the future.

Or is it just a peperweight and I need to buy something new to use during travels around the state (outside metro Denver) ?
For traveling around the state you will need a newer digital scanner yes. GRE PSR-600, Uniden 996XT or RadioShack PRO-197.

One of the biggest pluses I remember with this model, along with it's replacement the 796, is how sensitive it is on the VHF and UHF aircraft bands. It makes an excellent aircraft receiver.

Moosemedic

All excellent answers

Thanks everyone, so far, has had something really positive, and constructive to say.

I just didn't want to give up a functional scanner unless it really didn't suit my needs. It does sound like I really should consider some shack cleaning on ebay and look for one of the 3 scanners cited. However, I would need a portable, not a mobile mounted unit. It seems counterproductive to look for that card at this point.

Incidentally, does anyone here have an interest in purchasing this scanner from me? Or is that a question I shouldn't ask in this thread?

Last edited:

n0nhp

I am using one to feed the analog side of my online scanner feed. Good audio and can be computer controlled by a number of software packages. If someone wanted to set up an aircraft or railroad feed, this would make an excellent choice.
Sorry, with Mesa County already dabbling on the DTRS system I will probably have one for sale soon too.

Bruce

Warbirdhunter

I am using one to feed the analog side of my online scanner feed. Good audio and can be computer controlled by a number of software packages. If someone wanted to set up an aircraft or railroad feed, this would make an excellent choice.
Sorry, with Mesa County already dabbling on the DTRS system I will probably have one for sale soon too.

Bruce

That would be kind of cool to have a Aircraft or Railroad feed..Great idea Bruce!

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Portable Choices

Moosemedic said:
However, I would need a portable, not a mobile mounted unit.

GRE PSR-500 or RadioShack equivalent PRO-106 and Uniden 396XT are the current choices out there.

The PSR-500 will drop to $450 at times at various dealers while the PRO-106 has a tendency of going on sale in the $399 range.

Uniden, unfortunately, doesn't believe in sale pricing so it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.