Uniden 796D Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

UPman and others, I have a Uniden 796D that has a clicking noise coming thru when I plug in a ext. speaker. The noise is getting so loud it is keeping me awake at night. This only happens when I am scanning 2 different systems. If I only scan one system that noise is not there. Does Uniden still repair the Uniden 796D.Someone told me that Uniden can repair this. Can UPMan or others let me know why this 796D is doing this. I have also read that other owners of the 796D are also having the same problem. Would like to get this fixed vs buying another digital scanner. Thank You for your help.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I had a radio that did this too but it was not your particular model. I changed my 8 ohm external speaker for a 32 ohm external speaker and it really helped. However, with headphones it was a real problem.

Since your problem seems to be getting loader it may need to be sent to Uniden (I was told in my case it was "electronic switching noise") but I would wait for more people to give their ideas on possible solutions they may have better advice.

W9NES

Thanks UPMan, Can you advise if you have had the same problem on the 796D from other owmers of the 796D that have had to be repaired by the Uniden Service Department? How can I fix this without sending the scanner in for repair.? I was told to use a 32 ohm speaker to kill the "Electronic switching noise"

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've not heard of the problem, but that doesn't mean much (I don't do repair). If it were a huge issue, I think I would have seen many posts about it in these forums, but I don't recall seeing any.

W9NES

Do we have anyone the owns a Uniden 796D that has the same problem as I have? I have a 2nd Uniden 796D and that scanner does not do the Electronic switching noise with a ext speaker pluged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.