Uniden 800XLT in today's digital spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouln

I've been away from the hobby for 18 years and see that there have been changes with the digital radio changes that have taken effect. I live on the Chesapeake Bay in Annapolis, and am wondering what types of "Analogue" radio transmissions can be still heard on my old Bearcat 800XLT.
Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Does your radio do analog trunking? If so, you will be able to monitor the AACo TRS, at least for a few more months before it transistions to a mixed mode digital system. If not, you can still monitor AACo's VHF fire frequencies - dispatch, mutual aid, etc. DNR is still VHF, and the MSP and SYSCOM is still lowband. The USCG can be monitored on VHF as well. So the answer is yes, but it were me, I'd invest in a new digital scanner.

CA
Annapolis

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No the old 800XLT doesn't trunk. However, you can still use it for the various civil air, marine (that should be an easy catch...) AA county's fire dispatch (154.01), and maybe, with a good antenna (no, not the little stick on the back of the set) some of PG county's stuff, which for the moment is largely conventional. MSP and DNR stuff are also real possibilities. Our database is very complete for this state, and you can get to it here...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=24

I also think it quite likely that a filter will be needed, depending on how much junk you receive with a good outdoor antenna.

We have very complete wiki based articles on all the digital scanners, and you can get to it here. This article is an index for other articles (referred to as a 'category') - anything underlined and/or in blue is a link

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.