Uniden 885

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker700

Still learning this radio. When in scan mode, the radio will sometimes stop on a channel and the display will show "multi" instead of police, fire, etc. I cannot find anything in the manual that explains this.
This is my first digital scanner. So, not familar with a lot of terms used now.
The radio works good as a CB and scanner combo. But the display is not very bright at all. Even at highest setting.
Trucker700

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Some small towns dispatch multiple kinds of agencies on one channel (Fire/EMS, for example). Such channels are tagged as "Multi Dispatch" in RRDB (and thus in HPDB).

Trucker700

Thank you! I'm headed towards Phoenix, Az and have encountered this several times now. I'll learn this radio yet!
Trucker700

Trucker700

Radio seems to be working good. I do have one concern though, the top of the radio gets almost too hot to put your hand on it and keep it there. Compared to my Uniden 980 which was mounted in the same place, the 980 was cool as a cucumber. I could leave it on 24 hrs straight, and it was still cool to the touch. The manual states the cb and scanner combo can operate in temps ranging from -22°F to +140°F.
That's enviroment and not actual temps in the radio.
I wonder if there's a problem. Or if I need a cooling fan for the radio. I'd think it would have some vents and an internal fan to control internal temps if the scanner portion can run so hot.
I have a remote temp gun I can check it with when I get home Friday.
Anyone else using the 885 noticed this?
Trucker700

Trucker700

Ok, that's fine. How much hotter is normal for this radio?
Like I said, it's almost too hot to keep my hand on. (the top of the radio) I think the mounting bracket is too short and does not allow good air circulation over the top of the radio.
I am driving a 2004 Peterbilt and have it mounted below the overhead storage area that is above the windshield in a Pete.
In the center of the storage area (on the bottom of it) is a factory mounting plate with DC posts for powering a radio.
My radio previous to my Uniden 980 had a bracket that extended further down below the mounting plate and gave about an inch and a half between the top of the radio and the mounting plate. There's maybe 1/2" clearance with the included bracket for the Uniden radios.
As I said the 980 stayed cool to the touch. The 885 with same bracket and same 1/2" clearance is way hotter. As I said, almost too hot to keep me fingers on for any length of time.
Since it's new and in warranty, I'll leave it as is. If it fails, I'll return it to you for repair, replacement or refund.
Thanks for your help.
Trucker700

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Running it at trade shows it gets similarly hot. The scanner PCB is much closer to the top cabinet and appears to be responsible for much of the heat being transferred to the top.

Trucker700

Thank you for the reply. I hope the heat is not an issue. I really like the radio otherwise. Display brightness is my only real issue other than the heat. I did find changing the color to blue made it a bit easier to see. But, still.could be brighter.
Trucker700

Trucker700

This sounds like serious issue. I foresee units being returned following heat related failure.

It could be. Or maybe, my radio is an exception. It is still working. But, what this amount of undisapated heat (no ventilation holes for the heat to escape) does to its' lifespan, is a big concern. I once had an ICOM 7000, that got this hot. ICOM stated that the entire case was a heatsink and it had an internal temp controlled fan that ran quite a bit. The case was made of heavy aluminum, too. I never had problems with the radio, but others did. Guess we will see.
Trucker700

Trucker700

Finally got a chance to check the temp of the radios' case. Averages 110°F. Probably within safe operating range of the internal components. That's with the A/C running in the truck.
I did add a Larsen tri band antenna mounted on the passenger mirror mount. Much better reception. Still some voices sound robotic. Sometimes a PD dispatcher will have a crystal clear voice and the person they are talking to will have a muddy or robotic sounding voice. Don't know if that's normal or if the radio needs some sort of firmware update.
Fix the display and this radio would be great.
Price a bit high, but it should sell. Not in droves, but enough to keep it in production.
Trucker700

Status
Not open for further replies.