• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 980 ssb with power mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

brizzotheizzo

I have a Uniden 980 ssb. As we all know, the stock mic is trash. I ordered a road devil power mic. How to I find the appropriate levels to set the power mic to and the mic gain on the Uniden to? Is there an appropriate way to test this? Anyone have this same setup? What levels do you run?

prcguy

The 980 does well with an aftermarket mic, especially if you adjusted the internal mod limiter and SSB ALC. I would set the radio mic gain about 50 to 75% then adjust the mic output until it sounds good. I have a custom tweaked mic so my settings are probably not appropriate for your setup.

I have a Uniden 980 ssb. As we all know, the stock mic is trash. I ordered a road devil power mic. How to I find the appropriate levels to set the power mic to and the mic gain on the Uniden to? Is there an appropriate way to test this? Anyone have this same setup? What levels do you run?

brizzotheizzo

The 980 does well with an aftermarket mic, especially if you adjusted the internal mod limiter and SSB ALC. I would set the radio mic gain about 50 to 75% then adjust the mic output until it sounds good. I have a custom tweaked mic so my settings are probably not appropriate for your setup.
Did u use the talkback to hear it, or did you have someone listen on a second radio? Just not sure what the right way to do it is

prcguy

I rely on people listening over the air who know my voice. The goal is to sound just like me but louder. Like me in person with a bull horn, but a nice one with some bass, not that tinny sounding crap that you hear on TV during protesting.

You need radio friends that know what a good sounding station is, clean, loud, punchy, not too much of anything, not lacking anything, etc. Or you let them know what you want to sound like and have them talk you in with the adjustments. I usually have two friends listening and the goal is for both of them to agree when it's "there".

Most radios here have built in equalization and compression, so there is a lot to adjust and a lot to mess up if your not careful. With a CB and an aftermarket CB mic you are usually limited to volume only but you can get inside the mic and tweak things if it sounds to thin or you can roll off the bass if its to boomy. You need to know a little about how things work to make those changes.

Did u use the talkback to hear it, or did you have someone listen on a second radio? Just not sure what the right way to do it is

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
The stock microphone is not trash. Few other mics will sound as good right out of the box.

Open it up. There’s material across the entry to the sound capsule. Make a hole. (Very small with first attempt). You may like the result well enough to not worry over another mic.

Microphones aren’t expensive, thus it’s fun to try a half-dozen to suit ones tastes.

The stock mic should always be kept nearby as the backup.

The Uniden 980 is the undisputed best entry level rig. The backup radio to every single other “Big Radio” you may operate. One at home, in car and in work vehicle. A Harbor Freight Apache 2800 case holding all that was originally packaged with the radio. Plus spares of every sort. Fuses & Ferrites.

The 3800 case if you want to carry a second external speaker. That case also makes easier carrying 2-3 mikes past the stock one.

Last edited:

brizzotheizzo

The stock microphone is not trash. Few other mics will sound as good right out of the box.

Open it up. There’s material across the entry to the sound capsule. Make a hole. (Very small with first attempt). You may like the result well enough to not worry ...The Uniden 980 is the undisputed best entry level rig...
...The stock microphone is not trash. Few other mics will sound as good right out of the box....

Open it up. There’s material across the entry to the sound capsule. Make a hole. (Very small with first attempt). You may like the result well enough to not worry over another mic....

The Uniden 980 is the undisputed best entry level rig. The backup radio to every single other “Big Radio” you may operate.

Open it up. There’s material across the entry to the sound capsule. Make a hole. (Very small with first attempt). You may like the result well enough to not worry over another mic.

Microphones aren’t expensive, thus it’s fun to try a half-dozen to suit ones tastes.

The stock mic should always be kept nearby as the backup.

The Uniden 980 is the undisputed best entry level rig. The backup radio to every single other “Big Radio” you may operate. One at home, in car and in work vehicle. A Harbor Freight Apache 2800 case holding all that was originally packaged with the radio. Plus spares of every sort. Fuses & Ferrites.

The 3800 case if you want to carry a second external speaker. That case also makes easier carrying 2-3 mikes past the stock one.

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you. In my opinion, the stock mic is one of the worst mics I have ever used. There is very reduced modulation swing. You have to yell into it to get anyone to even remotely hear you.

if you cut the paper behind the mic, you no longer have a “noise cancelling” microphone. Kind of defeats the whole point.

CB radio magazine also agrees that the microphone is trash. Y ou can check out that Link here. (6th paragraph down.) There are several other radio operators’ reviews on YouTube that you can check out also. Many reviewers all come to the conclusion that the first thing to do when buying this radio is to replace the stock mic. And I would agree with them. It’s just my opinion. But it happens to be the opinion of many others too.

On the flipside, I will agree with you that this radio is a GREAT talker. However, the fail-prone and barely readable front LCD screen leaves much to be desired. I have warranty replaced two of these radios due to LCD screen objects “completely disappearing“ and never coming back on. First failure happened 60 days after purchase, and the second failure was 30 days after receiving the replacement. I’m not the only one to have problems with the screen failure issues. You can Google that on your own to find out

But the guts of the radio do their job as a CB amazingly well. Better than any others that I have used. As far as this being my “go-to” radio? No. Emergency back up, yeah, possibly. I feel that there are more dependable radios out there for the money overall. It’s just not worth the headache having to send the radio back to the company every 30 to 90 days due to LCD face screen issues. Without that face plate working, the radio is useless. Well...Maybe not useless, but I don’t like guessing what channel I’m on

The Uniden 980 has the competition beat on internal components relating to talkability. The radio board contains all the components necessary to be a smooth and clear talker on the airwaves. The side band is consistently on frequency with no drift. but I feel that the President McKinley is an overall better SSB radio for the money. The Uniden 980 is definitely a slicker and more modern looking radio, and it’s definitely a better talker as far as channel drift, etc. But the President seems more dependable in the long run, and gets the job done. That’s just my personal opinion. If Uniden would fix that LCD screen issue, and upgrade the stock mic, they would have a clear winner. But I can’t I have a CB radio that I have to send back every 90 days for screen problems as my “primary“ radio. Not to mention, the warranty return takes weeks. I will always keep this radio as a “back up” But until Uniden re-engineers that screen, the president will be my daily driver

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I’ve had no problem with the 880, 885, and 890-series Unidens vis-a-vis the screen lighting or related failures. And I’d bet on a great deal more use of each than you’ve seen with one (unless you, too, run them 10-12/hrs per day, days on end).

The stock mic isn’t trash. And I never said it was the best. But as an OTR truck driver, the minor mod works. I’ve no reports of problems with audio received. I’ve a window nearly always cracked, and the AC with compressor on or off blowing constantly. (I generally run one of the above with a PALOMAR SL-41 microphone. Or one of the powered Astatic mics. But batteries fail).

I’ve previously seen the CB RADIO MAG info. Great site. I’d highly recommend it.

I admire the way you otherwise wrote of the 980. I believe it correct. Again, I haven’t said this radio was best. But for $100-$120 that I’ve paid for it, it can’t be beat (non-SSB radios not worth considering). That low price puts it in a category of one.

The President Mckinley IS the better quality radio, but you pay half-again as much.

Which is why you saw me extol the virtues of the 980 as the backup radio to all others.

You do have a backup radio (mobile & base) always at hand, right? Ready to plug & play. (Where several mics have their place). All spares for all else.

One is serious about this, or not.

CB failure on the road is a possibility. It’s unacceptable to be without a backup. Availability of an SSB radio is another issue. There are very, very retail outlets which carry any SSB-capable radios. Assume there are none and it’s close enough.

As a starter, and as THE substitute, the Uniden 980 is the first radio to buy. Not “someday”. The “better” one comes second. (Hell, third, fourth, fifth depending on how many radios you buy. A tough addiction to crack. I currently have a GALAXY DX-86V in the slot. That’s how to look at it. A slot to fill).

I like any/all of these behind an RM-Italy KL203. It’s enough to get heard in a busy metro. Xtra low amp draw for the package. Can run it off of a typical fleet-spec big truck 15A factory wiring circuit.

The mic isn’t enough — nor are rare QC-related issues — to pass on the 980. At well under $200 for 75W all day, it’s a very clear winner in this package.

The same money as the McKinley, in other words.

Get the install going:

www.K0BG.com

And know that the third leg of the stool is the Clearspeech DSP Speaker by WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO. As there’s no CB/Export radio not radically improved by its use.

It has no substitute.

The antenna + mount + DSP inside a high quality installation IS the Radio.

The transceiver itself isn’t the heart of the thing, any more than the engine is the heart of a car. One has to be able to use it. The working environment has precedence with the overall installation mainly concerning itself with the antenna.

The radio is just one more component. Next-to-last purchase. With a 980 in the mix as described, I’ll hear and get heard where you won’t with a McKinley (or choose another radio).

Were I at home I’d have 5-6 radios I could plug in. Same number or more microphones.

The install is altogether of another order.

980 vs McKinley isn’t “real”. Both do the same thing. The $60-$80 more for a McKinley pays for the Apache foam-lined transport case. It’s presence also outweighs having paid more for a radio not capable of more, but one hasn’t proper protection for electronics gear.

Get all the right pieces together. The radio is NOT the important component. Antenna & DSP Speaker out-rank it. KL203 equals it.

And any radio purchased without a transport case is owned by someone foolhardy.

Plenty of radios to plug-in as you go along. (Last. Not first).

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I was on the fence between the 980 and President Mckinley and the screen failures on the 980 are what scared me off. I know the McKinley isn't the most 'mod' friendly radio, but I didn't need all that. I'm glad I went with it as it has served me well. I'm not big in to CB but wanted to buy a SSB rig since I was making the purchase. No complaints from anyone I talk to, but I'm not pumping out ridiculous power and trying to be a fool on 6.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
And a 980 as a backup, right? Get into another car (a rental) and are ready to go.

Stretch the context to fit real life.

rcarl

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you. In my opinion, the stock mic is one of the worst mics I have ever used. There is very reduced modulation swing. You have to yell into it to get anyone to even remotely hear you.

if you cut the paper behind the mic, you no longer have a “noise cancelling” microphone. Kind of defeats the whole point.

CB radio magazine also agrees that the microphone is trash. Y ou can check out that Link here. (6th paragraph down.) There are several other radio operators’ reviews on YouTube that you can check out also. Many reviewers all come to the conclusion that the first thing to do when buying this radio is to replace the stock mic. And I would agree with them. It’s just my opinion. But it happens to be the opinion of many others too.

On the flipside, I will agree with you that this radio is a GREAT talker. However, the fail-prone and barely readable front LCD screen leaves much to be desired. I have warranty replaced two of these radios due to LCD screen objects “completely disappearing“ and never coming back on. First failure happened 60 days after purchase, and the second failure was 30 days after receiving the replacement. I’m not the only one to have problems with the screen failure issues. You can Google that on your own to find out

But the guts of the radio do their job as a CB amazingly well. Better than any others that I have used. As far as this being my “go-to” radio? No. Emergency back up, yeah, possibly. I feel that there are more dependable radios out there for the money overall. It’s just not worth the headache having to send the radio back to the company every 30 to 90 days due to LCD face screen issues. Without that face plate working, the radio is useless. Well...Maybe not useless, but I don’t like guessing what channel I’m on

The Uniden 980 has the competition beat on internal components relating to talkability. The radio board contains all the components necessary to be a smooth and clear talker on the airwaves. The side band is consistently on frequency with no drift. but I feel that the President McKinley is an overall better SSB radio for the money. The Uniden 980 is definitely a slicker and more modern looking radio, and it’s definitely a better talker as far as channel drift, etc. But the President seems more dependable in the long run, and gets the job done. That’s just my personal opinion. If Uniden would fix that LCD screen issue, and upgrade the stock mic, they would have a clear winner. But I can’t I have a CB radio that I have to send back every 90 days for screen problems as my “primary“ radio. Not to mention, the warranty return takes weeks. I will always keep this radio as a “back up” But until Uniden re-engineers that screen, the president will be my daily driver
I think that review is old and about the first radio. The radio has probably gone through 3 revisions since then. But who am I? I just have a new 980 and a little willy.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
For why I don’t “yet” understand I’ve bought three (3) of the Uniden bc906 wireless mics during this calendar year.

F00DA626-AE21-4D64-8A04-B546A91C44F0.jpeg
1). I’ve more than three (3) of the 880/885/980 radios with plans to buy a couple more. It’s a head-scratcher (“why did I do that?”).

2). The extremely solid reports of how well this mic performs out & away from the radio made BUYING ONE a no-brainer, IMO.

3). What power mic to mate to each in the stable is still a question. Among choices brand-new, nothing turns me on.

However it goes, I have to move upwards with the Harbor Freight Apache transport case series; 2800-size to 3800.

75113759-68FB-4DB6-8126-E7EDFE9300E3.jpeg

So — the thread topic microphone type temporarily excepted — a third mic (wireless), and now a lot of five (5) used Kenwood KES-5 Mobile (mil-spec) speakers are on the way.

6E3A8F64-5994-4927-84AC-91D30FC5748B.jpeg

This must mean five (5) radios in this series I’m supposed to set up, right? (Ha!)

The mic & speaker & transport case bring a $140 U-980 to just under $275 total for the set.

Another $20 or so for ferrites brings it to $300.

Given what $300 has bought me a few times chasing CB performance, this feels like a bargain.

Christmas is coming.

Last edited:

Retroradio

Interesting thread on the Mic for the 980. Here the stock microphone is preferred by the locals when I use it. They didn't like the power mic.

Retroradio

So I hooked the AST878 back up to the 980.
Set the radio mic gain at 2,3, and then 4.
Set the AST mic gain in various positions.Key the mic and there’s a whoshing sound coming from the radio.(talkback is not on). I bought the mic for this radio and am now going to repurpose it to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.