• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 980 SSB, Won't Turn Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a new Uniden 980SSB. Set it all up and got everything set and tuned up, and when I went to turn it off using the volume knob, it clicked but no power off. Stayed on with no volume, all buttons worked, obviously not powering down. To get it off I had to unplug the 3 pin power cord. I am getting a replacement sent to me, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem on the 980 SSB. What would cause this other than factory defect unless that's the only thing it could be? Any easy step to take to fix it or check something before doing a full return for replacement?

I am not a radio/electronics expert, more experience overall with PC computer systems, but I'm learning! (And hoping to learn more.)

RC286

switch on the control probably failed closed. This happens when the tiny spring pops loose or breaks.
No easy fix for a beginner.
New potentiometer with a gang-able switch is needed of the correct value.
Probably soldered onto a PCB, and the whole radio would likely have to be near 70% disassembled to reach it.

simple hack job fix would be to open er up and solder the switch permanently closed. drill a hole in the case and wire up a separate switch, or put an inline switch in the cord.

Take it back and get one that works properly

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How does the radio perform otherwise? I've been thinking about buying a couple for backup coms during outages.

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
Returned my first 980SSB and the new one that came in has worked perfect. Has great receive, radio check reports have come in great and no power mic is really needed IMO. The SWR meter built in helped me get it tuned right up in no time. The color modes are cool to get it just right for your eye preference. Weather reception has been pretty good, a little static sometimes but kind of expected with the antenna type. Most reviews I read say people get annoyed with the beep sound it makes when changing channels and using the buttons but it honestly hasn't bothered me at all really.

Paired up with a 4' firestick mounting on my F-150 truck bed rail, hovering around 1.4:1 SWR on a consistent basis. I could move it and get a little better, but it hasn't really been needed to far. I'd recommend it if you are wanting to have a radio to keep stock that has the extra features, probably could spend less and get it tuned better with other models.

Haven't used SSB yet to say anything on how it's doing on that side, mainly monitoring channel 6 and talking on 19. Also using as my just in case backup communications, I think it'll serve well in that capacity.

NESN

Same thing just happened to my 2 year old 980. Problem is it was customized by a CB shop, so with the amount of money I have in it I need to get this one fixed. Anyone else had this problem and had it repaired, or did it themselves? Other than this, I love this radio all the features and performance, though it's not nearly as sensitive as some of my older CBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.