• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 980SSB S-Meter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Recently hooked up a Uniden 980SSB that I've had for years, but hasn't been connected to power for quite a while. For the first few hours, everything seemed normal. But then I noticed that the S-meter display shows full deflection at all times, on all channels, antenna connected or disconnected makes no difference. The actual radio functions do not appear to be affected - receive seems normal and other display functions seem OK, except for the wonky S-meter.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
In some radios the S meter moves up when the RF gain is turned down (to less RF gain). I don't know about this one but this is something to investigate if you have no other ideas.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
...the S-meter display shows full deflection at all times, on all channels, antenna connected or disconnected, makes no difference.
Problem Solved! For those that might refer to this thread in the future, I was seriously considering sending the radio back to Uniden for repair, but I thought I'd just open up the radio to look for any obvious problems. Once opened up, I decided to re-seat all of the connections between the mainboard and the display board. I can't say which of the connectors was the likely source of the problem, but my main suspect is the single ribbon cable. I have read many reports of poor ribbon cable connections in other brands of radios built in China. After I re-seated both ends of the ribbon cable, everything now appears to be working normally.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Slightly off topic, 980SSB. I have had 2 within 2 months after the warranty expired, displays failing. Separate vehicles, Brand new when installed. I checked voltage to radio (in spec, under all conditions), SWR in spec (on a Bird watt meter). I sent a 3rd one back while it was still in warranty and they replaced the display. I just find it odd I had 3 that have had the same issue, in different vehicles.

Just wonder if anyone else had this problem.

Thank you

WB9YBM

I have had 2 within 2 months after the warranty expired, displays failing.

I've heard the same problem reported in Kenwood, several years ago. According to the Kenwood technician that I talked to, the display's current limiting resistors are a bit low in value (i.e. not dropping enough voltage/limiting enough current) so that the customer has a nice, bright display that can more easily be seen in a bright environment (like in a car). Because of this the displays liked to burn out.

I wonder if the same situation exists in the 980SSB that you mentioned?

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
I've heard the same problem reported in Kenwood, several years ago. According to the Kenwood technician that I talked to, the display's current limiting resistors are a bit low in value (i.e. not dropping enough voltage/limiting enough current) so that the customer has a nice, bright display that can more easily be seen in a bright environment (like in a car). Because of this the displays liked to burn out.

I wonder if the same situation exists in the 980SSB that you mentioned?
Possible. But I know one of the radios was always set to a very low level on brightness.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Problem Solved! For those that might refer to this thread in the future, I was seriously considering sending the radio back to Uniden for repair, but I thought I'd just open up the radio to look for any obvious problems. Once opened up, I decided to re-seat all of the connections between the mainboard and the display board. I can't say which of the connectors was the likely source of the problem, but my main suspect is the single ribbon cable. I have read many reports of poor ribbon cable connections in other brands of radios built in China. After I re-seated both ends of the ribbon cable, everything now appears to be working normally.

Currently the 980SSB is manufactured in Vietnam. Only the packaging is made in China.

Ribbon cables and edge connectors used to be flash plated with gold, not any more. Therein lies the problem.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Slightly off topic, 980SSB. I have had 2 within 2 months after the warranty expired, displays failing. Separate vehicles, Brand new when installed. I checked voltage to radio (in spec, under all conditions), SWR in spec (on a Bird watt meter). I sent a 3rd one back while it was still in warranty and they replaced the display. I just find it odd I had 3 that have had the same issue, in different vehicles.

Thank you
I just took my 980 out of the mobile after having it in for about 3yrs due to parts of the ch# and freq display going blank. The display is fine for about the first 10 minutes before some parts go out. I just installed another one in the mobile, so far so good, see how long this one lasts.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.