uniden 996d

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

I found what I think is a pretty good deal on one of these scanners, Ive always been a GRE guy so Im wondering how complicated it is to program one ? is there a program and cable available to use computer sources for this? I noticed it had the amber display but the ones Ive seen are green, maybe this is changeable? also Ill go ahead a say the price asked is 150.00 thanks for your answers

footnote the model is a BCD996t

Last edited:

Bucko

The 996T will switch to green very easy by a push of a button. To Program I find not complicated but then I am use the Uniden Bearcat. I use a USB-1 cable and normally use Freescan to program which a real nice program to use for the price (FREE). That price sounds like a great deal considering what It cost new.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

stevolene

thanks for the response, I also was surprised at the price, but its at a pawn shop, had 199.00 on the sticker, but he said 150 out the door, I plug it in and found it works, went thru what programs I could, sounded good, but being absolutely uninformed on the uniden scanners I had no idea how to navigate the radio, to me the knobs felt just a bit loose, but I heard no noise in the volume knob while turning, squelch seemed to work as it should, there is no serial cable or software included, only the ac power cord

KE4RWS

Sounds like a heck of a deal provided the overall condition isn't complete crap. I've seen some of these high-dollar scanners that looked like they were dragged behind a car on a dirt road half their life and then stored at the bottom of a pond the remainder of it. I swear, I have no idea what some people do with their radio equipment . . .

For $150 it sounds like a great deal, and because you've been able to test it out in the store *before* putting any money into it tells you a lot about it as well.

Most pawn shops have a no-return policy on most of the items they sell, but you might want to at least inquire if they'll extend you a return if it develops any problems the first few days, even if it's only a store credit. I know anytime I buy a used scanner I run the sucker 24/7 and test everything it's capable of before I can honestly proclaim it to be a successful transaction :lol:

stevolene

this usb 1 cable you speak of, is it easy to aqquire? ive used the RR database to program a pro 97 and 163 without a hitch, is there a different procedure with the unidens?

Status
Not open for further replies.