uniden 996p2 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnfyre

guys i have bought a new 996p2. i have got some local channels programmed however i am having problems doing nc viper. had someone that said they would help but i have never heard anything else from him. if i could gwet some help i would be very appreattive.

Bradley Henderson NREMTP/NCFF2/NCOFFICER1

medic9351301

Banned
what are you trying to hear. looks pretty simple to program . can you enlighten us on what issues your having

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Assuming you are using something like Freescan, jump over to YouTube and search for that software and programming Uniden scanners. There are get how to videos there and you can pause them as you go about programming your scanner.

You are a premium subscriber, so you can download the "stuff" you need from RR. Pretty handy.

I see you are a paramedic. Jump remember first time you tried to do an IV. Probably needed several attempts and might have been scary/frustrating. Scanner programming is like that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
guys i have bought a new 996p2. i have got some local channels programmed however i am having problems doing nc viper. had someone that said they would help but i have never heard anything else from him. if i could gwet some help i would be very appreattive.

Bradley Henderson NREMTP/NCFF2/NCOFFICER1
Don't forget that there is a User Guide for FreeSCAN in the Wiki.
Down at the bottom of that page are some links to some "how to" videos. As ofd8001 noted, there are more on YouTube.

Looking at your county in the database, Henderson, I see a number of conventional channels listed for various agencies. But I also see that county fire, the Sheriff's off, are noted as using a NXDN system.

That system was last updated in the database last November, but there are no talkgroups listed.
See this link to a post concerning the NXDN system.
Did you purchase the NXDN upgrade for your scanner?

There are also Henderson County talkgroups on Viper. There are three sites for Viper in your county. Looking at the estimated coverage shown in the database for these, looks like your best sites for Viper would be Jumpoff Mountain or Bearwallow.

I would also suggest that you might want to have your thread moved to the North Carolina state forum, and see if you can get clarification (or confirmation) on whether you need the NXDN system, Viper, or both. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

(edit to add comments below)
I would also add that, if you need the NXDN system, you would need software other than FreeSCAN, While FreeSCAN can handle the conventional frequencies as well as programming for Viper, it was never updated to include NXDN systems. If you wanted to use software, you would need to look at ProScan or ARC-XT. Both are 'paid' software programs, but they each allow a 30 day free trial period before you either need to purchase a license to continue use, or quit using it (the software will quit working after 30 days unless purchased).

Last edited:

Mtnfyre

need to update my profile. i moved last year.
i did download the files from here.
i have both free scan and arc xt
i have gotten the conventional channels to work. i cant get viper to work. i sked the same question in the nc forum and was told too ask here.
i have watched youtube until im blue in the face.
my older scanner in my backup pov is a radioshack pro 97 and its a breeze. bought the 992p2 due to p25 phase 2 capability.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
need to update my profile. i moved last year.
i did download the files from here.
i have both free scan and arc xt
i have gotten the conventional channels to work. i cant get viper to work. i sked the same question in the nc forum and was told too ask here.
i have watched youtube until im blue in the face.
my older scanner in my backup pov is a radioshack pro 97 and its a breeze. bought the 992p2 due to p25 phase 2 capability.
Where are you now? City & county?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Rosman nc
That puts you in Transylvania County, just west of Henderson.

There only shows to be a single Viper site in your county, Brevard.
Your county only has a handful of talkgroups listed in the database.

What are you trying to monitor in Viper that is giving you a problem?

Attachments

• 1591639460636.png
    1591639460636.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 5

Mtnfyre

That puts you in Transylvania County, just west of Henderson.

There only shows to be a single Viper site in your county, Brevard.
Your county only has a handful of talkgroups listed in the database.
View attachment 86336

What are you trying to monitor in Viper that is giving you a problem?
Trying to set up banks. But that scanner dont do banks like i know. Also since im a medic i listen to the hospital as well. I also want banks set up so i can travel and listen such as my moms county and my dads.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Trying to set up banks. But that scanner dont do banks like i know. Also since im a medic i listen to the hospital as well. I also want banks set up so i can travel and listen such as my moms county and my dads.
The 996P2 scanner, like all the other Uniden DMA scanners, does not have "banks". However, you can assign separate quick keys for systems so that you can toggle them off, or back on whenever you want. You have 100 Quick Keys to use, 0 thru 99, to separate your systems out however you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.