Uniden 996P2 or Uniden 325P2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
(Parts of this thread may have ended up in the wrong forum topic. If I put stuff in the wrong place please let me know so I can fix it.)

Hello

Over the past several years I have been listening to local radio traffic for the Boston Metro Area on Brodcastify, and recently I have looked in to taking it to the next level and getting my own scanner. I have just about zero experience when it comes to radio hardware aside from what I have been able to pick up here on these forums. So the first question I have it is which scanners should I look in to? I mostly want to listen to local law, fire, and EMS in the area of Winchester and the surrounding towns and MSP. If I can get the Boston freq's that would be awesome but I think I might be out of range and stuck trying to pick them up on the MSP repeater or CoMIRS. I know I need a digital scanner as CoMIRS continues to roll out (and I think a few of the towns around me are digital). I would love to get one of the SDS's but I think those are a little out of my budget. I did some research and I think the Uniden Trunk Tracker V might fill my needs but Im not 100% sure. I have spent most of my time looking at Uniden and I think that they best suit my needs. So if people have other recommendations please tell me about them. Additionally I want some advice about handheld vs. mobile, as I like to go out buffing and it would be great to have it with me so I can get some of the departments who are not on Brodcastify. But am I going to end up better of with a mobile unit to start and then get a handheld down the road? Also what do people recommend in terms of antenna? From what I have gathered having a certain antenna can either make or break your ability to pickup channels that are slightly farther away. Finally, once I decide on a scanner is it worth trying to find a used one? Or is it better to just buy one new? Any advice or knowledge people are willing to share would be awesome as I know this thread is kind of all over the place.

East

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Winchester is in Middlesex county looking in the data base

Lots of T band UHF analog with some P25 and A little DMR.

Start off small and Used Like a Uniden 996 or 996P2 just to get your feet wet.

See if you like it and keep the interest then you can spend some money.

Learn the hobby then you can dive into trunk systems and antenna's

Pete N1EXA

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
Winchester is in Middlesex county looking in the data base

Lots of T band UHF analog with some P25 and A little DMR.

Start off small and Used Like a Uniden 996 or 996P2 just to get your feet wet.

See if you like it and keep the interest then you can spend some money.

Learn the hobby then you can dive into trunk systems and antenna's

Pete N1EXA
Thanks for the advice! I think I’ll look in to getting a 996P2 or a 325P2 as I did some more looking around and talked to some people elsewhere and I think the 325 might fit me needs better. Either way thanks for the help!

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
Hello

I’m looking in to getting my first scanner and I have narrowed it down to the following two models, the Uniden 996P2 and the Uniden 325P2. I am up in MA so I need a digital scanner with P25, so that is why I have chosen the above two models. I have a few questions who’s answers I think will help me chose the final device I end up getting. I listen to public safety stuff, and some of the channels I want to get are non repeated and low power. But I also like going out and doing some buffing but that’s lower priority, as I do it less often.

1. Is there noticeable difference in range between the two?
2. Is it worth the extra $70 for a mobile over a handheld?
3. Can I get similar range out of a 325P2 with an antenna that I mount at home and use a smaller antenna when I’m out on the road?
4. Is it just a matter of pick one and then het the other fine the line if I see fit?

East

Last edited:

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
its the same radio just packaged differently and your milage will vary on how you operate it and what you attach to it.

wtp

if you ever want to go to a mall and listen to the goings on,
i recomment the 325 as with the 996 and a car battery or gel cell limits you time walking.

lu81fitter

I have both of those radios. I can hook them to my outdoor antenna, and they receive essentially the same. For use at home, the 996 is easier because the radio sits on the shelf with the antenna coax hooked up, and the display can be read with ease. The 325 lays over flat and needs to be picked up to look at the display. The 325 is my first digital handheld, and I wasn't impressed with the battery life, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast. I always carry extra batteries with me if I'll be using the radio while out and about.
All that being said, they are both good performers for me. I have one simulcast system that I monitor, but it is far enough away that I only pick up the closest tower, so it hasn't seemed to be an issue and it is not something that I continuously monitor.
To address item #3 on your list, the radio will only be as good as your antenna. Both radios have a BNC connector for antennas. Do your research on antennas for the bands you choose to monitor and choose the right type. It will make your listening more enjoyable.
Good luck. And by the way, welcome to Radio Reference!! There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here. Don't be afraid to reach out for help. That's what this place is all about. Happy monitoring!

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Don't ignore the 436HP. You can use it when you travel simply entering in the zip code and range, and for the additional price over the 325, you get replay, which you may love as a feature.

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm going to go with the 325 but in reading a few of the reviews on amazon I saw one review saying that the reception of the 400mhz band is extremely poor and unusable, has anyone had a similar experience with this scanner? Also I have been told it chews trough AA's so does anyone have a recommendation for some high quality AA's or will any set do me just fine? Also would the RH77CA be a worthwhile investment? Once again thanks to everyone who has provided feedback, suggestions or has otherwise assisted me learn the basics of scanning. I know many of my questions are very much of the newbie verity so thank you for all of yall's patience.

Last edited:

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
I use the Diamond RH-77CA on my 325P2 and it works just fine. only $22.00
Thanks for the info! I did a little poking around and I found that to be a good upgrade. I think I grab it as a bundle on amazon and see how I like it. Ill be sure to update people with my thoughts.

freqseeker

I think I'm going to go with the 325 but in reading a few of the reviews on amazon I saw one review saying that the reception of the 400mhz band is extremely poor and unusable, has anyone had a similar experience with this scanner?
Amazon reviews can be misleading as they will lump all reviews for Uniden scanners into one as opposed to by model. Early on the BCD436HP had issues in the 400 MHz range because of a missing capacitor (long story, search the forums if you need more information). That's probably what was mentioned. I have had no problems on the 400 MHz range as long as the proper antenna is used as you mentioned. I own two 325's, one mobile and one portable. Simulcast is a problem, but analog and digital work fine.

Battery life is lacking due to only having two batteries. I use Eneloop "white" and Eneloop Pro "black" and charge them externally. Pick a name brand and don't fall for cheap high capacity claims.

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
Ok sounds good. I assumed it was some one who had a one off bad experience or something. Thanks for the advice about the batteries.
Amazon reviews can be misleading as they will lump all reviews for Uniden scanners into one as opposed to by model. Early on the BCD436HP had issues in the 400 MHz range because of a missing capacitor (long story, search the forums if you need more information). That's probably what was mentioned. I have had no problems on the 400 MHz range as long as the proper antenna is used as you mentioned. I own two 325's, one mobile and one portable. Simulcast is a problem, but analog and digital work fine.

Battery life is lacking due to only having two batteries. I use Eneloop "white" and Eneloop Pro "black" and charge them externally. Pick a name brand and don't fall for cheap high capacity claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.