Uniden 996T Reception Issue On Moto Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I have a 996 at home on a Discone, now it locks onto a GRN tower with 2 bars of signal( Motorola Trunking) , doesnt pick alot up, so I L/O that repeater (416.4875mhz) and it just sits there looking for another tower with NO luck...its deaf!

So I hook up the 396T to the discone and bam full signal on the same repeater, more traffic, so I L/O that repeater in in a second it finds another repeater and locks on to traffic...

Now it seems to me like my Uniden 996 is having reception issues, what you guys think?? Its just not right!

Open to suggestions and can get video if ned be.

cheers

Jas

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
One of the things I do if I am concerned about a reception issue is the scan the various weather frequencies with the suspect radio. Then with another with a known "good" radio, scan the same weather frequencies.

(With you having a second scanner that you can connect to the same antenna, that should be a valid test.)

If your "known good radio" hears several sites, but the suspect radio does not, that is suggestive of a problem and a repair shop trip.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
we dont have weather stations here in Oz so thats a no go.

I can scan Airport ATIS and the 396 is always a stronger signal using the same antenna.

Same with Motorola trunking control channels and various UHF and VHF frequencies.

I do think there is something wrong with it

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
ok im going to raise my antenna a little bit...see if that fixes it..but got me stuffed why the 396 has double the reception that the 996 has!

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Considering that the 396 is considerably deaf compared to my PRO-97 I am surprised that your 396 out performs your 996.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
here is a photo of what I am getting, both on the same antenna, same repeater same TGID and look at the difference in signal strength!

Attachments

• grn 001.jpg
    grn 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 506

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I can scan Airport ATIS and the 396 is always a stronger signal using the same antenna.

I would agree that something is not right with your 996 (assuming the ATT is off), especially with your airband results. My 996 is much better than any handheld I have, on airband, using the same antenna for both.

Last edited:

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
yeah, i just went thru all settings, No ATT on anywhere!

Really frustrating! Might have to send off to Uniden!

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
yep and as I said, NO ATT on anywhere!

I have spoken to another person that said they where also having trouble with theirs, got a test done and found it was only receiveing at 30%, Uniden replaced it with a new one!

Looks like Im off to uniden tomorrow!

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Take out the cable out the front of the unit and see if that makes a difference.

Believe it or not, with my programming cable in my 396 I lose a bar or two, mainly noticeable on VHF, and with the power cable in the 97 I barely pick up anything.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
does it sound noticeably different, ie scratchy etc? How do you have that antenna split? could it be a bad patch lead or shorting in one of the bnc plugs?

f_vos

Check the solder joints inside relating to the bnc ant socket.

Regards
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.