Uniden 996xt and antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebull388

I have posted in the General forum but did not get much help so i thought i would ask the locals.I am lookin at getting a 996xt because of ATL being digital and that is one area i would like to monitor. What would be a good antenna to run with this radio and monitor the FREQ's of the area ( Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb, Cherokee). I know glass mount are as well receivable as a roof mount but how will this effect my receive compared to a magnet mount?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
There are quite a few out there - Larsen, MaxRad, a bunch of others. I just use a Antennex Phanthom (800 Mhz) on my truck since I mainly just listen to Cobb DTRS and Roswell when I'm in their area. If you do a hard mount (one where you drill holes), I would make sure you have a NMO put on.

Where in Roswell are you? I work at 92/Hardscrabble.

N8IAA

Ok thank you for the info. i would do a magnet mount.

If you want a magmount, go to Ham Radio Outlet on Buford Highway in Doraville. They are north of spaghetti junction on the East side of the road. Just before going into Gwinnett county. They have antennas specifically for scanning , but the Larsen short dual band antenna is probably the best for the money. Get a magmount that has a NMO base with a BNC connector on the cable so it can hook directly to the scanner.
Larry

Oh, /\/\ike pretends to work:D

Last edited:

thebull388

Ok thanks for the info! By dual band you mean a (VHF UHF) 2m to a 70cm antenna? If it was this would it be the NMO 2/70B or NMO 2/70SH ?

Last edited:

thebull388

Ha ok well im around that area just about every day so maybe ill see you around town. Im the one with the loud Ram with the big ole antenna on top

Status
Not open for further replies.